Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. QLH
    QLH September 30, 2007 at 2:26 pm |

“This is America,” I said angrily, in that moment supremely unconcerned about whether this was standard police procedure or a useful law enforcement tool or whatever anybody else wanted to call it. “I have a right to talk to anyone I like, wherever I like.”

The female officer trumped my naïve soliloquy, though: “Sir, this is the South. We have different laws down here.”

The South isn’t a part of America? In America, you can talk to anyone you like wherever you like; in the South, you can’t.

I’m glad that I, someone who moved from America to the South recently, now have that important information.

2. Tony
    Tony September 30, 2007 at 3:08 pm |

I understand your point, but try being a police officer for a year in a “high crime area.”

This is the current balance act that is really breaking the back of our system right now: there is no easy answer to the problem:

Officer safety v. the rights of citizens.

When you figure out how to deal with tha in a way that protects rights and officers, let me know . . .

3. Cola Johnson
    Cola Johnson September 30, 2007 at 4:19 pm |

Tony: What’s the point of having civil servants if they don’t serve the public? What’s the point of paying people with our tax dollars to protect us if they instead oppress us out of fear?

4. Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne September 30, 2007 at 6:17 pm |

Interestingly, the LA Times reported on Friday that our murder rate is the lowest it’s been since 1970. Some parts of South LA have seen 50% drops.

How? Not by sweeps and crackdowns and arresting every black guy you see, but by working with ex-gang members and gang intervention specialists to short-circuit things before they get bad.

Stopping violence without engaging in even more violence? That’s unpossible!

(Stolen from Kevin Drum as I was too lazy to actually read the paper on Friday.)

5. Cara
    Cara September 30, 2007 at 6:29 pm |

Tony, it isn’t about safety, it’s about prejudice. If I had been that reporter, as a young white woman, the police wouldn’t have handcuffed me, they would have warned me to stop hanging around for my own “safety,” and I think that everyone knows it. But the black guy gets thrown down on a hood of a car. The rules are not and never have been applied evenly.

What I find to be most fascinating about the “this is the South” comment is that someone would actually admit that. I mean, just . . . wow.

6. Farhat
    Farhat October 1, 2007 at 12:49 am |

Hang out on leoaffairs.com for learning about how your ‘defenders’ talk among themselves about the unwashed masses. That is, if you can stand the taste of bile in your mouth.

7. Daniel
    Daniel October 1, 2007 at 12:49 pm |

I couldn’t understand some parts of this article Reporting While Black, but I guess I just need to check some more resources regarding this, because it sounds interesting.