Girl assaulted over dropped birthday cake

A middle-school girl had her wrist broken by a security guard after she dropped a piece of birthday cake and didn’t clean it up to his liking. In the process of arresting her and breaking her wrist, he called her a “nappy head.” When her mother protested, she was arrested too. A student who videotaped the incident on a cellphone was also arrested.

You can reach school officials at the follow email addresses:

The Palmdale Superintendent, David Vierra at bettyv@avhsd.org (secretary’s email)

Palmdale Mayor, James C. Ledford Jr. at jledford@cityofpalmdale.org

Palmdale Mayor Pro Tem Mike Dispenza at mdispenza@cityofpalmdale.org

Palmdale Councilmember Steven D. Hofbauer at shofbauer@cityofpalmdale.org

Palmdale Councilmember Stephen Knight at steveknight@cityofpalmdale.org

Palmdale Councilmember Tom Lackey at TomLackey@cityofpalmdale.org

Palmdale Stephen H. Williams at swilliams@cityofpalmdale.org

Email all of them at once: bettyv@avhsd.org; jledford@cityofpalmdale.org; mdispenza@cityofpalmdale.org; shofbauer@cityofpalmdale.org; steveknight@cityofpalmdale.org; TomLackey@cityofpalmdale.org; swilliams@cityofpalmdale.org

Oh No a WoC PhD has details, including more contact information for the school.

Thanks to Trina for the link.

9 comments for “Girl assaulted over dropped birthday cake

1. QLH
    October 2, 2007 at 11:11 am

I followed the links, and read a comment about the other side of things (the mother pushing/”assaulting” an assistant principal, etc.). As if that has anything to do with a security guard completely abusing his position of authority, using racist slurs, and *breaking a child’s wrist.*

Also, someone raised a good point: why is a security guard wearing shades inside? To up the intimidation factor?

2. October 2, 2007 at 11:19 am

You know, I’m white and middle-class, and if I came to pick my child up from school and discovered that the adult security guard had broken her wrist, I would have attacked the asshole, too.

3. Lorelei
    October 2, 2007 at 4:02 pm

good job, mr. security job. you proved just exactly how tuff and manly you are by breaking a highschooler’s wrist.

jesus fucking christ.

4. EE
    October 2, 2007 at 4:31 pm

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing because I am very concerned about an incident that happened recently at Knight High School. The way it was described was a young woman, ________, spilled cake in the cafeteria, and after she didn’t clean it up to the school security guard’s satisfaction, was subdued by the security guard in such a way that she sustained a broken wrist and then removed from school grounds. Later she was expelled, and arrested for assaulting the security guard and littering.

I understand that managing a school can be very difficult and that there are two sides to every story, but the video of the incident does not show the girl attacking the security guard, quite the opposite. It shows a very large man using unnecessary force against a child, and the broken wrist seems to support that.

More troublingly, I have read that Ms. ______’s mother was arrested after she complained at the school and sought an attorney in response to her child having her wrist broken by a school employee. Furthermore, I read that the student who took the video and his sister have also been arrested. Lastly, some people have reported that the security guard used racial slurs when he detained ________, indicating that there was a racial component to all of these incidents.

This is extremely upsetting. I will be following news of this incident, and very much hope there will be some investigation as to whether the security guard was using inappropriate amounts of force and the whether the students involved were wrongfully arrested. I hope that this incident can be resolved in such a way that order is maintained in the schools without students fearing attack and wrongful arrest at the hands of school employees.

Sincerely,

Hopefully this will help. I see you left out the student’s name and didn’t want to publish it here in case you did it out of privacy concerns, but otherwise, this is my e-mail to the addresses you listed. Thanks for giving those.

5. Ric
    October 3, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Hopefully there will be one Momma of a lawsuit coming out of this.

6. rob
    October 3, 2007 at 6:07 pm

I feel much more secure now that my children will not be sharing a classroom with this litterbug and her chocolaty attacks on the homeland.

7. October 4, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Is the guy a security guard, or the janitorial enforcement staff?

WTF does a security guard have to do with making sure that cake gets cleaned off the floor?

Hopefully they will station security guards in the bathrooms next, to break the wrists of all the bastards who dont wash their hands after using the potty.

8. Saul Leven
    April 14, 2008 at 6:21 pm

So, how many of you people now know that the girl did *NOT* suffer a broken wrist but that she was lying about that?