Feminist blogs often throw out terms and acronyms that we’re used to seeing in our little pocket of the internet, but that newcomers might not be familiar with. Jeff has done us all the service of explaining one of those terms: MRA. And he does a bang-up job:
What is an MRA?
He’s a Men’s Rights Activist, part of the broader Men’s Rights Movement. He–
Wait, wait. “Men’s Rights Movement?”
Is that like the “National Association for the Advancement of White People” or the folks who think the Christian Right is oppressed?
Yes, the Men’s Rights Movement is the same kind of animal. All of these groups share a common worldview, that the traditionally oppressed groups, be they women, minorities, or non-Christians, have somehow seized control of the country and are systematically denying the straight, white, Christian men their rights.
Well, yes, but don’t ignore the reason for the pushback: men’s traditional privileges really are under attack. It’s just that these rights, like the right to beat and rape your wife with impunity, are anathema to a truly free and equitable society.
Do read it all. And now that the MRAs have showed up in the comments, go show your support.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- “Revenge rampages”: Obscuring the issue and missing the point by Caperton May 30, 2014
- Do You Have To Be So Mean? by Ilyka Damen October 27, 2006
- Betsy DeVos to ask rape-denying MRAs all about campus rape by Caperton July 19, 2017
- The guilt that comes with having no sympathy by Caperton November 7, 2016
- “Revenge” shootings in Santa Barbara by tigtog May 24, 2014