Tuesday Travel Blogging – Portugal

I’m in the middle of finals — yes, my program in Germany splits the semester in half, so we get two sets of finals — but looking at pretty pictures always cheers me up. This week’s travel blogging is Portugal, which was my last trip. I sadly didn’t have time to head southward, but I spent a few days in Lisbon and did manage to get out of the city to see the coast and a nearby town. Check it out:

P1020411.JPG, originally uploaded by JillNic83.

More below the fold.

P1020301.JPG, originally uploaded by JillNic83.

P1020350.JPG, originally uploaded by JillNic83.

P1020375.JPG, originally uploaded by JillNic83.

P1020266.JPG, originally uploaded by JillNic83.

The full set is here.

6 comments for “Tuesday Travel Blogging – Portugal

1. zuzu
    October 16, 2007 at 1:53 pm

Have I mentioned recently how much I hate you?

2. rootlesscosmo
    October 16, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Marx (after a session of the First International) declared that Portuguese was the most beautiful of the European languages, comparing its sound to that of the waves crashing on the rocks at Belèm. I can still sing most of the anthem of Intersindical, the Portuguese trade union federation; the refrain is

Unidade, unidade, unidade
    Do trabalho contra o capital
    Camaradas, lutemos unidos
    Porque è nossa a vitoria final.

3. SoE
    October 16, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Have I mentioned recently how much I hate you?

It’s more envy than hate with me. I take solace in the fact that my program had only one set of finals but we had two dates (before and after the holidays) to take them. :D You really miss exams once they are all over….

4. Hector B.
    October 16, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Portuguese was the most beautiful of the European languages

The way the Azoreans around here speak it, Portuguese sounds like a blend of Spanish and Polish.

5. rootlesscosmo
    October 17, 2007 at 12:07 am

Not a bad description, but Portuguese also has some really nice nasalized vowels: Spanish “canciòn” (song) = Portuguese “cancão,” and so on. I think one good way to get the sound of the language is by listening to fado–Amalia Rodrigues, Carlos do Carmo et al. José Afonso (whose song “Grandola Vila Morena,” banned under the Salazar dictatorship, signaled the 1974 revolution that ousted Salazar’s successor) is worth a listen too. The Brazilian version–spoken by a lot more people of course–is quite different.

6. Emma
    October 18, 2007 at 6:00 pm

do you mind me asking where that top photo is taken? I spent a few days in Portugal over the summer; in Cascais and Lisbon. Was so beautiful, would love to visit again sometime.