We know that “pro-lifers” don’t really care all that much about women’s health and lives. We know that they justify the damage they do with concern for the unborn. We know that The Baby is the chief concern of pro-lifers… right?
Nope, not so much on that last one. For all their cries about saving babies, they don’t seem particularly interested in actually helping children and babies — National Right to Life just refused to support the S-CHIP program that provides health care for kids from lower-income families.
However, the NRLC maintains that the Democrats misconstrue their position on the Medicare issue and that they don’t have a stake in the SCHIP bill.
“That letter mixes two issues that really have no relation to each other,” said Douglas Johnson, NRLC’s legislative director. “There’s nothing there [in the SCHIP bill] for us to really grab onto.”
Right. There’s nothing in a bill about providing health care to children that has to do with life at all. And just in case you weren’t totally convinced that they could care less about born people:
The right-to-life group had wanted to codify an administration policy providing SCHIP coverage for unborn children — which most Democrats believe should instead apply to the pregnant mothers — but got no support from Ryan and other Democrats who oppose abortion rights, Johnson added.
I knew we had that “assholes” tag for a reason.
- The Bush administration: So “pro-life,” they’ll violate federal law to deny health care to children by Jill April 19, 2008
- Sacrificing Women at the Altar of Fetus Fetishism by Jill April 25, 2007
- Pro-Life Politicians: Every fetus is an incredibly valuable human life with rights that trump all others. Until it’s born. Then the little bastard’s on its own. by Jill July 20, 2007
- South Dakota bill would allow the killing of abortion providers as “justifiable homicide” by Jill February 15, 2011
- Bush v. Children by Jill September 17, 2007