Save a Muslim, oppress a feminist

Help save these downtrodden women from their veils: Attack a feminist today!

Dear fellow feminists:

You are letting the terrorists win. If you really cared about women, you would support invading majority-Muslim countries, killing their leaders, slaughtering civilians, and forcibly converting whoever is left to Christianity (the real religion of peace). Everyone knows that Muslim men are backwards woman-haters, and Muslim women are veiled, silent and subservient, while Judeo-Christian-Americans are beacons of gender equality, human rights and feminism. It was our job to save Muslim women, and in not condemning their religion and in refusing to launch deadly attacks on their countries, we have failed.

Luckily, Jesus created Republicans. And they will demonstrate their commitment to Muslim women by promoting internment, blogging about how Islamo-Fascism is way worse than global warming, making McCarthy-esque lists of professors who don’t toe their political line, and marching in front of Women’s Studies departments.

If that’s not commitment, I don’t know what is. You lazy, selfish feminists who don’t care about Muslim women — and who certainly aren’t Muslim women yourselves, because I read somewhere that Muslim women can’t speak, so we have to do it for them — could really learn something from Islamo-Fascist Awareness Week.

Yrs,
Jill (on behalf of David Horowitz and the Young America’s Foundation)

25 comments for “Save a Muslim, oppress a feminist

1. Fauzia
    November 6, 2007 at 8:48 am

AAAA-MEN (get it, men! har har), sistah. You said it.

2. gr
    November 6, 2007 at 9:01 am

Have YAF and Horowitz heard of the International VAWA yet?

3. Brad Jackson
    November 6, 2007 at 9:17 am

I always get a dark chuckle out of the fact that so many conservtives can’t even remember what happened last week, much less a few years back.

Way before the Taliban became the latest “let’s go bomb someone” target, it was us liberals who said “hmmm, these people are evil, I mean look how they’re blowing up ancient Buddhist statues and oppressing women, let’s do something”, and we did. Many brave Muslim women used the Burqua against ’em, by consealing cameras and documenting the butchery of the Taliban.

And the same right wing twits who now rant about the evils of Islamofascism, said “realpolitik! You stoopid liburl types just don’t understand how the world works”. A Taliban diplomatic group was welcomed to my home state (Texas) to talk about gas pipelines back in ’97 when Bush jr was governor.

Yup, those right wingers care about women, now that they can make it an excuse to bomb civilians, suspend civil rights, etc. As long, that is, as no one expects them to stop oppressing women in the name of Jebus…..

4. November 6, 2007 at 9:22 am

I read Jon Swift, and this is better. It’s almost too good.

5. November 6, 2007 at 10:25 am

“Luckily, Jesus created Republicans.”

You nearly made me spit my coke onto the keyboard. :)

6. MK
    November 6, 2007 at 10:34 am

because nothing says “peace” like some good old inquisition.
    seriously though,this horowitz guy recently spoke at my college. frowny faces all around

7. Manju
    November 6, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Life is so simple in the land of the strawmen.

8. meggygurl
    November 6, 2007 at 12:40 pm

This made me happy and sad at the same time. And I sent it to my father, who the last time I was home was all “OMGAWDS! Teh evil Muslims! We must kill them THERE before they kill us HERE!!123!!”

I’m expecting a fun phone call later. :)

9. Manju
    November 6, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Just to show YAF is not only concerned about “fascism with an islamic face” YAF is also raising awareness about the old “fascism with a human face” with a new poster of the “The Butcher of la Cabana”

10. zuzu
    November 6, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Yes, well, speaking of useful idiots, Horowitz does a bang-up job at being one.

11. SunlessNick
    November 6, 2007 at 1:03 pm

That was the greatest exercise in link-incorporation I’ve ever seen.

12. November 6, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Jill, Queen of Snark.

Awesome.

13. November 6, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Elizabeth Hasselback(lash) is this organization’s poster girl.

14. exholt
    November 6, 2007 at 5:58 pm

This snarky-screed reminded me of a self-proclaimed “feminist” classmate in high school who made racist statements decrying all non-Western societies as “backward” and “savage” while implying the Western societies were more enlightened. It would not surprised me if she is now working for someone like Horowitz.

Rhetoric like this is frightening, especially when Western colonizers were facilitated in their aims by Western missionaries and other “progressives” of the era who wanted to bring “progress” and “civilization” to those in “backward lands”.

This rhetoric combined with memories of Western colonization causes many in non-Western societies to be wary of possible underlying motives behind Western criticisms in areas such as human rights, even when those criticisms are legitimate from organizations without colonialist motives. This feeling was constantly repeated to me by many Chinese students both within the mainland and those in the US…including those who oppose the CCP regime and want some form of pluralistic democratic rule.

In short, Horowitz and his ilk are providing effective ammunition to tyrannical ruling elites of many non-Western societies to deflect legitimate criticisms of their rule as they area able to recast themselves as anti-colonialist protectors and all dissenters as a Western colonialist backed “fifth column.” This is a powerful tool in silencing dissent.

15. Manju
    November 6, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Rhetoric like this is frightening,

It is. But this is Jill’s rhetoric, not the YAFs. This reminds me of the fake hate crime/parody at GWU, protesting islamo-fascism week. Posters saying “HATE MUSLIMS? SO DO WE!!” were plastered on campus, causing fear among the very communities the protesters claim to represent, then using the fear they created to attack the YAF.

The annoying liberal tendency to introduce bigotry into a conversation, under the guise of parodying conservatives.

16. Armadillo
    November 6, 2007 at 7:30 pm

I’ll never understand why the hijab (veil) worn by western Muslim women is viewed as a horrific crime against female liberation that feminists should protest. For one, the hijab is voluntary. Young Muslim women and girls have every right to refuse to wear the hijab. Many do. And regardless, some of the most wonderful, strong, interesting and certainly liberated women I know are Muslim hijabis. Veiling your hair doesn’t obliterate your personality.

I don’t understand how anyone can make the connection between the violent misogyny directed at women in Muslim societies and the personal choice that some Muslim women make to wear the veil.

17. exholt
    November 6, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Manju,

I know Jill is satirizing Horowitz and his ilk. I was referring more to the rhetoric of Horowitz and his ilk. Though this may sound silly, I have actually encountered people who have made points similar to the ones in Jill’s snarky post….but unlike her, were actually serious about it. My apologies if my prior comment did not make that clear.

18. November 7, 2007 at 4:30 am

What Jill wrote may have been satire, but it wasn’t too different from what Horowitz writes seriously. It was also creepily similar to the kind of tripe written by people like Mark Steyn, Debbie Schlussel, and Pamela Geller –hatemongers all.

19. alsojill
    November 7, 2007 at 9:13 am

So, what? Effective satire is no longer acceptable, b/c it echoes the rhetoric it’s satirizing?

Jill’s post is clearly satirical–unlike some of the other bullshit that gets passed off as “satire,” in part b/c she takes it far enough that the absurdity is clear.

Painful earnestness is great, I suppose, but sometimes satire is more effective at gathering an audience and actually getting their (positive) attention.

20. November 7, 2007 at 10:17 am

(Groan)

Alsojill, I didn’t mean to imply it was bad. On the contrary, it’s good in a very provocative way. Sometimes writing needs to amplify reality to wake people out of thier stupor.

I was responding to Manju.

21. alsojill
    November 7, 2007 at 10:42 am

So true. :) Sorry if I misread you.

22. Jack
    November 10, 2007 at 11:22 am

While I agree that muslim woman in the west can stand with us as equal and for themselves, they don’t need us to fight their battles in such patronising ways -surely this doesn’t apply to sisters in the many gulf states who do need our support. Not a deliberate provocative question but a clarification. I know this is satire but seems to be saying if you were anti war then you can’t speak out against the issues women face in the gulf?

23. November 15, 2007 at 10:49 am

It’s such a pleasure to find another blog that’s not islamophobic. Feminism adds to the charm! :)

24. Nadine Hagar