Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. tigtog
    tigtog November 7, 2007 at 7:54 am |

As you say, I’m not surprised she was retained. She’s probably tough on drugs and burglars as well, which voters are persuaded to view as more important.

Also, as most people think that rape victims who aren’t sex workers deserved it somehow, it’s not surprising that there’s no popular outrage against her comments as it would be if she’d said that a fruit merchant was “asking” for their sweet, juicy goods to be stolen.

Perhaps we all need a therapeutic session of Thelma and Louise.

2. RenegadeEvolution
    RenegadeEvolution November 7, 2007 at 7:56 am |

Jill-

Thanks for blogging about this.

3. Sojourner
    Sojourner November 7, 2007 at 9:30 am |

Is there a way to help this woman financially?

4. norbizness
    norbizness November 7, 2007 at 10:07 am |

It’s “the soft bigotry of low expectations,” which definitely applies here to certain people expecting justice.

I have no idea what a retention vote entails, but the linked article in the update makes it sound impossible to lose one; one local activist said it was basically job security until the judge hit age 70 (mandatory retirement age).

I’m sure somebody local has to have thought of this already, but here’s a link to the Pennsylvanian Judicial Conduct Board.

5. Sally
    Sally November 7, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

Before I read too much into Deni being retained, I’d want to know if judges in Philadelphia ever lose retention elections. Around here, it never happens, including in cases where judges are clearly incompetent. I’ve seen judges who were rated “not recommended” by every single bar association in the state win retention by huge majorities. The whole retention election thing is a farce.

Did the campaign against her at least make some sort of dent in her support? Did she win by less than other judges?

6. Liz
    Liz November 7, 2007 at 1:34 pm |

I guess it doesn’t take much to be a judge in Philadelphia.

7. Robin Steele
    Robin Steele November 7, 2007 at 1:39 pm |

Haven’t you heard? Women and little girls ENJOY being raped.

Even when taken by force she understands that a man has chosen her and risked his life perhaps for her female charms. She is likely going to brag about “my rapist” for years and years, because it’s a story about how powerful and desirable she was as a female.

Come see who says this and help me get this scumbag booted from Blogger (at least)

Woman of Steele blog

8. Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne November 7, 2007 at 1:55 pm |

The whole retention election thing is a farce.

Pretty much, yeah. Plus this happened close to the election, so it was hard for people to get the word out, even though they were very motivated.

But they’re not giving up — it looks like they’ll pursue getting her off the bench through other channels.

What really burns me about this case is that not only did the judge essentially let them off, but because she did so, they went out and did the same thing again to another woman. Huh, I guess charging them with “theft of services” wasn’t much of a punishment, was it?

I seem to recall that the prosecutors actually withdrew the case rather than letting the judge dismiss it so they could re-submit it to another judge — does anyone know if this has happened?

9. Bunny
    Bunny November 7, 2007 at 7:30 pm |

Robin…

I… that is seriously messed-up. Some one really said that? They weren’t Gorean, by any chance?

And yeah… I hadn’t heard that the woman in the above case was a black single mother either but… seeing how her case was so mishandled I shouldn’t be surprised. Why are crimes treated as less serious depending on who they happen to?

10. Robin Steele
    Robin Steele November 7, 2007 at 9:00 pm |

This sicko on Blogger named Bob Allen.

He says JonBenet Ramsey was lucky because at least she “got laid”

I’m trying to get this nutcase off blogger. I’d ignore him but he’s getting this little following of disenchanted teen boys buying his BS.

Check it out at http://robinsteele.blogspot.com

I’m suddenly overrun by these cretins.

11. Fuck. : The Curvature
    Fuck. : The Curvature November 7, 2007 at 9:18 pm |

[…] Via Feministe […]

12. RenegadeEvolution
    RenegadeEvolution November 8, 2007 at 3:47 am |

Jill..

If this id too hostile…..delete..

We whores faxed, called, emailed, yelled….

Where the hell were you?

13. annalouise
    annalouise November 8, 2007 at 11:09 am |

Now what can we do?

I dont’ know nearly enough about the legal system to say but:

Is it possible that with enough pressure the bar association can rescind her license to practice?

Is it possible that attorneys can file enough motions enough times saying that she can’t possibly be unbiased so that there are no, or nearly no cases on which she can rule?

Is it possible that people can stand outside the courthouse and picket every day she comes to work until she quits from the harrassment?

Do any of these things have any possibility of working?

14. annalouise
    annalouise November 8, 2007 at 11:14 am |

ps. I sent another letter to the judicial conduct board asking them to whatever they can to keep Judge Deni from practicing law. But I don’t know enough about how they operate to know what they can do.

15. RenegadeEvolution
    RenegadeEvolution November 8, 2007 at 12:43 pm |

(that wasn’t meant towards Jill personally, the delete part was for her) but it just seems to me a whole lot of folk were totally silent on this case, and it boggles my mind…

16. durga_is_my_homey
    durga_is_my_homey November 8, 2007 at 2:18 pm |

I have to second something – is there a way to help the victim in this case, ANY way? I haven’t found much and I understand she may be remianing anonymous.

Also, what can I as somebody from Michigan do to make this “judge”‘s life and job a living hell? I don’t mean violence or harrassment, just so that she doesn’t forget this and so that this isn’t the end of the steps being taken to get her fired?

17. Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne November 8, 2007 at 2:58 pm |

Atrios
    gave it a boost. Not that he’s the be-all and end-all of blogging, but he’s pretty high up in the food chain.

18. Sally
    Sally November 8, 2007 at 5:31 pm |

In terms of helping the victim, it might make sense to contact Jill Porter at the Philadelphia Daily News. She’s written a bunch of columns about the case and has interviewed the victim, and she probably knows how to get in touch with the victim. I don’t know what kind of help would be helpful, but it might be worth asking.

I don’t have any idea how to get rid of the judge. I’d be curious to hear what other people propose.

19. Soundbites « Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog

[…] (Feministe): Deni’s argument is that prostitutes can’t be raped because they sell sex — which is kind of […]