Jessica at Feministing links to a really disturbing video for “the anti-gym” which involves a Manly Man humiliating and insulting a “chubby.” Because being told that you’re too fat to be seen in public is really going to encourage you to go to the gym.
But the chubby-hate is nothing new. What’s getting under my skin — and this isn’t anything new either, but the Feministing comment thread was just the last straw — is the fat-hate from fellow feminists. We get it here, too, although it’s usually from anti-feminist trolls; but I feel like every time I read a thread about fat on a highly-trafficked, mainstream feminist blog, someone has to start railing against the fatties. And then they cry about being “flamed” when other people call them out on it.
I realize that fat people are among the only groups left who it’s widely acceptable, even on the left, to publicly shame, humiliate and discriminate against. I realize that a lot of us fear fat, and that it’s a pretty good defense mechanism to pretend that fat people are just lazy over-eaters, and as long as we have self-control we won’t be like them. I realize that a lot of us have been brought up with the privilege of not having to recognize the numerous social and political problems that contribute to our so-called “obesity epidemic,” and to the framing of that supposed epidemic. I realize that a lot of people talk about fat on the internets and forget that they’re talking about actual people — people who are reading their words and becoming all the more hurt, frustrated and angry.
But no matter how many times we call them out, it continues. I’m getting really, really fucking sick of it.
So please, fellow feminists, knock it off.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- I went to a Chris Dodd rally and all I got were these lousy blue-balls by Jill November 14, 2007
- In Trying To Show How Silly Anti-Racist Liberals Are, Racists Assholes Again Prove Themselves To Be Racist Assholes by Jill April 27, 2008
- That’s one way to discredit feminist bloggers by zuzu January 31, 2007
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta shames fat kids to save them by Caperton February 17, 2012
- Girls and Women are Fertile; Conservatives Panic by Jill March 26, 2007