I need a new show.

German TV just isn’t doing it for me any more, there’s only so much Postwar I can read in a day, and I’ve exhausted this season of Grey’s. So I need a new show. I wanted The Wire, but they don’t have it on iTunes. Suggestions?

37 comments for “I need a new show.

1. Katy
    November 10, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Your earlier Berlin post reminded me of a character from Slings and Arrows which is a great show! Though, if itunes doesn’t have The Wire I’m going to guess they may not have it. It really is a great show though, and parts are up on YouTube if you have the time/inclination. It is about a theatre company (very like the Stratford Festival in Canada) and any explanation I’d give would sound dull… but seriously it is hilarious! Plus, it has Paul Grosse and who doesn’t love him?

2. mike
    November 10, 2007 at 12:55 pm

there was until recently a great website tv-links.co.uk that had every tv show and movie imaginable including current and old – but for some strange reason production companies had a problem with that.
    i tunes does have arrested development and veronica mars which are two definite good ones. you won’t be missing new shows anyway since this strike is likely to last awhile!

3. November 10, 2007 at 12:59 pm

six feet under!

4. Matt
    November 10, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Forget iTunes, go pirate! I got seasons 1-4 of The Wire off of BTJunkie (btjunkie.org). Use the uTorrent client (utorrent.com). You can find all the torrent links you’ll need at BTJunkie. I got The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, and plenty else to keep my occupied.

Enjoy!

5. November 10, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Do they have Californication on iTunes? Mmmmm, David Duchovny…

6. zuzu
    November 10, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Battlestar Galactica.

But you knew I was going to say that.

7. MizDarwin
    November 10, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Dexter! Also I second Six Feet Under. Deadwood is also extraordinary but not for everyone.

8. November 10, 2007 at 2:22 pm

DEXTER!

9. Miss Sarajevo
    November 10, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Ugly Betty is a must if you get it, and, it’s, uh, not dubbed into German.

10. House of Mayhem
    November 10, 2007 at 2:43 pm

HOUSE!

11. November 10, 2007 at 3:02 pm

i second ugly betty. i structure my week around being able to watch it.

12. Beth
    November 10, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Don’t forget you can also rent movies, buy movies, and buy tv shows on AmazonUnbox. All NBC programming is moving to Amazon, as they’ve terminated their contract with iTunes. You can also watch streaming tv on ABC.com, Fox.com, and NBC.com for free.

13. November 10, 2007 at 4:30 pm

L O S T

14. November 10, 2007 at 4:41 pm

i watch network online for free, so i never miss house now, but i really fell for pushing daisies this season.

15. November 10, 2007 at 5:09 pm

brendann- I am starting to think we were separated at birth! The Kid and I are gaga over Pushing Daisies.

Also you can watch all of Heroes for free at the NBC website.

16. November 10, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Oh and Bones is good too.

17. Sickle
    November 10, 2007 at 5:19 pm

MAD MEN

18. Sickle
    November 10, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Seriously, MAD MEN is absolutely amazing. I love television that makes me uncomfortable.

19. Marksman2000
    November 10, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Away put your TV’s.

Please read instead.

20. Sickle
    November 10, 2007 at 5:44 pm

I do both, Mr. Your-moral-better.

21. Roxie
    November 10, 2007 at 5:57 pm

PUSHING DAISES!!

22. November 10, 2007 at 6:45 pm

Not sure what’s available on itunes, but here are some of my fave shows:
    The Riches
    Dexter
    Weeds
    Six Feet Under
    ER
    So You Think You Can Dance
    Law & Order Criminal Intent
    The Colbert Report
    It’s Me Or The Dog
    Reno 911

23. Kat
    November 10, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Reaper. I love that the stock boys are fighting evil out of a Home Depot-type backdrop, complete with self-important retail manager boss man who has no idea what is going on in his store. Its funny.

24. November 10, 2007 at 9:07 pm

Look out for a British series called Black Books. It’s like Scrubs for bookshops, but more subtly hilarious.

25. November 10, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Are you open to considering holding off on iTunes purchases or streaming video (on network sites, at least) of American shows until the WGA strike is resolved? The lack of a reasonable compensation structure for shows being downloaded or streamed over the internet is a key issue in the strike (see http://www.plaintivewail.com/2007/11/strike.html, and Pamie.com also has some good posts on the strike). It could be a good opportunity to discover BBC or Canadian shows (I second Slings and Arrows, and while I’m not into crime shows so much, I really like what I’ve seen of Wire in the Blood) while supporting union action.

26. November 10, 2007 at 10:04 pm

Alias put me through some very happy months. It’s concise, exciting, and poignant. The first two seasons are especially good.

27. MJ
    November 10, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Ugly Betty
    Pushing Daisies (!!!) (There’s only something like 4 episodes so far though.)
    House
    Bones (!!!)

I can’t wait until I’m home so I can catch up on the last two. Yay for DVR.

28. November 11, 2007 at 2:51 am

For one that hasn’t been posted yet…

Check out “Rescue Me”

29. November 11, 2007 at 3:54 am

i actually forgot about bones, which is funny b/c i was catching up on it while i was commenting earlier!
    RQ~definitely separated at birth

30. November 11, 2007 at 6:06 am

Battlestar Galactica and Firefly would be excellent DVD investments. But wait, you’re in Region 2 right now, so you wouldn’t be able to play ’em once you got back home. Never mind. Mind you, if either is available via torrents, well worth the bandwidth.

I’m assuming you already know which of the returning shows you want to see. Yeah, Heroes has been pretty damn uneven this season, but the Molly Has Two Daddies storyline is adorable.

In terms of 2007’s new shows, I’d recommend Pushing Daisies, Life, and Chuck. I’m sure some of them are available to watch for free at the network websites.

31. lambchop
    November 11, 2007 at 8:09 am

Flight of the Conchords!

32. Roxie
    November 11, 2007 at 9:29 am

ROME. Just in case you’d never seen it.

33. November 11, 2007 at 3:39 pm

The IT Crowd is a great British TV comedy series, all on YouTube. And the lead actress is my English teacher’s daughter.

34. Sina
    November 11, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Battlestar Galactica
    Rome
    Buffy
    Twin Peaks (new box set out!)
    My So-Called Life (recently re-released!)
    THE WEST WING. over and over again.

35. Danielle
    November 12, 2007 at 9:17 am

If we’re not limited to current shows, definitely check out Veronica Mars (sassy feminist chick taking zero shit from anyone? Check!).

Also second (third? forth?) the nom for Ugly Betty. There’s also Heroes, the ever-reliable Buffy, and Project Runway (TIM GUNN!!).

36. DianneS
    November 12, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Is no one else watching The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard on BBC (PBS on Sunday eves in the USA)?

37. Lazlo K
    November 13, 2007 at 2:03 pm

30 Rock hands down. And if there are any seasons of Arrested Development you haven’t seen yet, see them.