I never thought I’d be linking to The Superficial, but…

There’s a first time for everything, right?

Apparently Conan O’Brien was being stalked by a Catholic priest, and the response from the Superficial dude is as follows:

That’s odd. The Catholic Church hardly ever threatens people. I mean, unless you read The Da Vinci Code, use birth control, are Kevin Smith, work at an abortion clinic, insult Mel Gibson, get a divorce, press charges for stuff that may have happened when you were an altar boy, pose provocatively in a confession booth, are Madonna, totally dig gay marriage or claim the Holocaust is real. But, yeah, other than that; very calm people.

Someone page Bill Donahue, stat.

6 comments for “I never thought I’d be linking to The Superficial, but…

1. Lina
    November 11, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Just to be fair, the Catholic Church never denied the Holocaust and has written rather extensively on the evils of anti-Semitism, including its history within the Church.

Other than that, pretty dead on.

2. jon
    November 11, 2007 at 3:41 pm

I just wondered why this news coincided with the writers strike. It wasn’t good to see none of the usual suspects commenting. Of course, stalking is never funny. Or in this case, not that funny.

3. Will
    November 11, 2007 at 8:34 pm

For what it’s worth, I am convinced that the Superficial is written by a woman.

In fairness, I don’t know much about who writes the stuff, it’s all part of Anticlown Media and could be a rotating team of people, but there’s something so satirical and over-the-top chauvinistic about the writing style that make me think it’s a woman taking the piss.

4. November 12, 2007 at 6:50 am

For what it’s worth, I am convinced that the Superficial is written by a woman.

It’s definitely written by a dude. I don’t remember his first name, but his last name is Wang. Jezebel writes about him occasionally.

5. November 12, 2007 at 12:20 pm

What the fuck is going on at the Boston archdiocese? First you have the epicenter of the child abuse scandal, and now you have priests sending threatening letters to talk show hosts on official archdiocese letterhead. Is there no oversight whatsoever?

6. November 12, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Depends on which Pope you’re talking about. I suspect it was the actions of Pius XII during WWII that led directly to Vatican II and the explicit denunciation of the anti-Semitism of the Church up to that point.

Though most of the comments that the Superficial is referring to were made by the Catholic League’s Bill Donohue, who is undeniably an anti-Semite. Frankly, one of the things that drove me away from the churh was that they allow Donohue to speak for them and announce publicly what Catholic doctrine is even though he’s a layperson, not a priest or a scholar. He’s just some angry asshole with a fax machine who was embraced by the church as a spokesman.