1. meggygurl
    meggygurl November 16, 2007 at 12:25 pm |

I am clearly never going to support McCain in my life, unless he has a frontal labotomy. The only thing this has done was make someone who is supporting Obama in the primary, WANT Clinton to win. Because I think it’s bull that she gets to the be the soul person getting called degrating words that you have only been able to say on tv for the last what, 7 years? If I can still get in trouble saying it in a high school, the the LEADERS OF OUR COUNTRY should not be using it against each other.

I hope someone called McCain an ugly bastard that masterbates to much and has hairy palms. :P

I apologize for the horrible spelling that I am sure occured in this post. I’m not on my normal Mac that spell checks every word I type anywhere.

2. What are bitches for? Making men money, of course. : The Curvature

[...] [cross-posted from Feministe] [...]

3. D.N. Nation
    D.N. Nation November 16, 2007 at 12:45 pm |

John McCain isn’t going to win the Republican primary.

And then that will be that.

4. JuniorPartner
    JuniorPartner November 16, 2007 at 12:55 pm |

Why do you assume that McCain is a misogynist though? I mean “bitch” might not be polite but using it or merely acknowledging the term by answering a question doesn’t necessitate a worldview that women are inferior etc. The definition is “a woman whom one dislikes or considers to be malicious or unpleasant.” Certainly such women exist for most people. I think that assuming he is a misogynist is like assuming a woman is a misandrist because she answer the question “Why is he such a dickhead?” etc. etc.

5. D.N. Nation
    D.N. Nation November 16, 2007 at 1:05 pm |

Cara, yes. He’ll be in the Senate. And thus subjugated by President Hillary Clinton.

6. cara db
    cara db November 16, 2007 at 1:47 pm |

Seriously, do you think that questioner – and McCain’s “excellent question!” response would have gotten away with it if the question had been, say, “How do we beat the darkie?”

7. Charlie
    Charlie November 16, 2007 at 2:00 pm |

There are still people coming onto feminist blogs trying to argue over whether “bitch” is misogynist? Give me a fucking break, people. The answer is obvious on so many levels.
    What I find interesting on this whole thing is that I haven’t really seen too much focus on the other meaning of “beat the bitch.” It sounds like a setup for a reply with some variation on “with a stick.”
    (Granted, I haven’t followed this issue all that deeply, so maybe some people did touch on that and I just missed it.)

8. nonskanse
    nonskanse November 16, 2007 at 2:44 pm |

The thing about “bitch” that gets to me is that there’s no equivalent word for men… (bastard is often used as an insult but it’s mostly genderless and then we’d be insulting another whole group of people anyway).

I think i would have been ok with “how do we beat that asshole Clinton” although I think candidate namecalling is kind of dumb.

9. Bitter Scribe
    Bitter Scribe November 16, 2007 at 2:58 pm |

What’s interesting is that even if you wanted to come up with a comparable racial/gender/religious slur for any of the leading GOP candidates, you couldn’t. The closest you could come would be “How do we beat the Mormon SOB?”, which isn’t really very close.

Big tent, my ass.

10. Hector B.
    Hector B. November 16, 2007 at 3:23 pm |

Similar to the doctrine of adoptive admission in evidence, the silence of the normally quickwitted McCain was tantamount to calling HRC a bitch himself. He should have immediately requested his questioner to be civil when discussing his opponents.

But I wonder about the woman who asked the question. She certainly did McCain’s campaign no good. She might have been planted by McCain’s opposition to embarrass him.

11. Brad Jackson
    Brad Jackson November 16, 2007 at 5:15 pm |

Cara I gave up on Junior Partner last week… He/She is just a troll, higher quality than most, but a troll none the less. He/She either knows perfectly well why “bitch” is misognyst, or simply doesn’t care.

12. nonskanse
    nonskanse November 16, 2007 at 5:23 pm |

Cara-
    Like i said, insulting more people. The other whole group was the “fatherless” offspring. I didn’t think as much about the mothers b/c when someone says “your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberry”, they are trying to hurt you, not your parents, by insulting your roots.

Which is what bastard does.
    In a misogynist way, as you pointed out.

13. Kristen from MA
    Kristen from MA November 16, 2007 at 5:37 pm |

Personally, I find ‘prick’ to be the equivalent of ‘bitch.’ But I realize that this is very subjective.

14. Henry
    Henry November 16, 2007 at 6:47 pm |

Big tent, my ass

I don’t know about all that. We’ve got a perfectly good wop you can make fun of. For example: “How do we beat the guinea bastard?”

15. Manju
    Manju November 16, 2007 at 9:29 pm |

what do you think of this:
    <a href=”http://michellemalkin.com/2007/10/13/joy-less-behars-health-care-analysis/” rel=”nofollow”>”Because she’s a selfish bitch, probably.”</a>

16. hyrax
    hyrax November 16, 2007 at 9:41 pm |

That someone responded something like “sounds like my ex-wife” implied to me that at least that person was thinking of ‘beat’ as meaning ‘physically hitting’ (and was making a joke about it)

17. Manju
    Manju November 16, 2007 at 11:13 pm |

oops, let me try that hyperling again:
    “Because she’s a selfish bitch, probably.”

18. Jovan1984
    Jovan1984 November 17, 2007 at 1:22 am |

I am not gonna support McCain either, because of his anti-choice views. It has now been five days since these remarks and not one condemnation. McCain is a typical neocon.

There is an eqvivalent word for men. ‘Dick’ is the male equivalent of the word ‘bitch’.

19. Amanda Marcotte
    Amanda Marcotte November 17, 2007 at 11:26 am |

John McCain is virulently anti-choice. That he’s a misogynist doesn’t really need much more proof than that, but this does confirm it.

20. Roxie
    Roxie November 17, 2007 at 12:08 pm |

Not quite, Jovan.

If someone had asked Clinton that, she wouldn’t have any IDEA who they were referring. (Yet ABC keeps saying she’s playing the “gender card”)

21. False Flag Operative
    False Flag Operative November 17, 2007 at 1:08 pm |

I hate Hillary Clinton too, but John McCain was being an jerk here. I’d never vote for McCain He’s too much of a flip-flopper, he’ll waste all my tax money on wars, he’s a gun grabber, and he’s just like Guiliani.

As for Hillary, people should attack her views on issues the right way, not attack her gender and engaging in pointless ad hominem attacks. Ad hominem in politics tend to get boring. After all, imagine if McCain attacked Obama’s race. It would be the end of McCain.

PS: I hate Clinton because she voted on the Patriot Act and has yet to refute her Iraq War vote.

22. Hugo
    Hugo November 17, 2007 at 2:00 pm |

Sigh. I’ve been telling my Republican friends to support McCain in the primaries, as on global warming and the environment, he’s hands down the best of the GOP crowd. His position on torture is also better than anyone else’s. I’m a registered Republican, though I only give money to Democrats and to Republicans for Environmental Protection. I assume I’ll hold my nose and still vote for McCain in the primary, and support Clinton (or Obama, or my boy Edwards) come the general. The only other option I have is Huckabee, whose social views are appalling but whose economic views are actually pretty good.

23. Pandagon :: Girl cooties :: November :: 2007

[...] to write about the John McCain and the word “bitch” incident for precisely the reasons that Jill articulates here—having to deal with all the people who’d scramble make excuses for his reaction, when [...]

24. kate
    kate November 17, 2007 at 7:32 pm |

The amount and the virulence of the misogyny aimed at Clinton is appalling and seems to have no end. She seems to embody the struggle that every women goes through when they seek a position of power, on any level, even within their own home.

I was wavering with Obama, but I have decided to support Clinton. We need a female president as this country needs to get over this rampant and virulent misogyny and seeing a woman in the most powerful position in the country is a start. I know this for sure, she can’t be any worse than the Republicans and the candidates I share more closely with in view, such as Kucinich, don’t have a flying chance anyway.

And I have said before and I’ll say it again, I don’t think anyone among any of the candidates could hate the wingnuts more than the Clintons. I don’t think any of the others either have a clue as to how to deal with their machine. The Clintons are well seasoned and I’m ready to put them (yes I said ‘them’) in the leading role to stop this train of social reactionaryism as soon as possible.

25. kissmypineapple
    kissmypineapple November 18, 2007 at 2:53 pm |

Kate, that bothers me so very much. No one acts as though they are also electing a first lady when voting for a man, so please don’t act as though Bill Clinton’s going to be the one you’re voting for when you vote for Hilary. If elected, sheis the one who will be president, not Bill. This isn’t like a third term loophole.