1. So You Want To Be A Rock n Roll Star : The Curvature

[…] [cross-posted from Femniste] […]

2. Lauren
    Lauren November 22, 2007 at 12:46 pm |

I haven’t played either game and won’t have a deep analysis or anything, but I did want to say that I find criticism of avatar choices really interesting. I’ve seen them done for all kinds of games and gaming communities, and it never fails to surprise me that avatar choices still remain relatively limited. Is there a real reason why they remain so limited in scope (programming, memory, something else) or is it a failure of the production team?

3. AndersH
    AndersH November 22, 2007 at 1:21 pm |

I definitely would want some Sleater-Kinney in there. As well as some Swedish bands that naturally can’t be included in the big release.
    Erase Errata has some awesome songs too.
    Note that I’m not a musician, so I really have no clue how musically complex the above bands are.

4. Minipundit
    Minipundit November 22, 2007 at 2:30 pm |

It would be insanely hard, but “Marquee Moon” by Television has a solo that’s just perfect for Guitar Hero.

5. Chesty
    Chesty November 22, 2007 at 3:03 pm |

Henry Jenkins of MIT blogs quite a bit about gender and video games.. some recent posts on gender and fan culture might be of interest.

6. Holly
    Holly November 22, 2007 at 3:09 pm |

Avatar choices are among the most costly things to add to a game, because the main avatar usually has the widest range of animations, sound effects, etc. associated with it. For a game like Guitar Hero, the things avatars do are relatively limited and “canned” because players don’t have direct control over the animations you’re seeing on screen. For Rock Band, I’m sure the new avatar customization was a major part of the development cost — perhaps the biggest part, since they already had the other systems from Guitar Hero and Karaoke Revolution, and Drummania provided a good reference for drumming.

For other games, where avatars run around, jump up and down, talk to people, can wield different weapons, etc… well, there’s a reason why you see so many games where there’s just one fixed avatar that you can’t change: Samus, Link, Mario, Joanna Dark, etc. Focusing on one avatar allows for a lot more depth and personality.

Right now, except for the major titles (like Rock Band, Oblivion, or Star Wars Galaxies) most game productions don’t have the deep pockets needed to create a fully customizable avatar system where the skeleton and musculature and hair and clothes of a 3D avatar are all changeable and will move around naturally in a thousand different combinations and configurations. As you can imagine, the more different possibilities there are, the more a system has to handle, either through brute force (a whoooole lot of animation frames) or through a complex dynamic animation system (where more possibilities mean more places something can go wrong, and more debugging).

Most games I’ve worked on have only had one avatar for this reason, or avatars that work in a very simple “paper doll” fashion where choices you make aren’t really reflected in animation. I can’t imagine having the luxury of being able to represent, for instance, a bunch of different body types that aren’t just scaled or slightly cosmetically different, but that actually move differently, carry their weight differently, etc. It would be such an incredible treat, so much so that I’d be worried about the rug being pulled out from underneath the feature for being too excessive.

I really want “Heartbeats” by the Knife (or the Jose Gonzalez version) in Rock Band. Would be awesome.

7. brandann
    brandann November 22, 2007 at 3:12 pm |

my fav ever, though i cringe when someone slaughters it on guitar hero, is sweet child o mine…

and i chuckle b/c the original guitar hero has “trogdor” which if you haven’t seen the web site, you wouldn’t get…so it makes me chuckled in a nerd kind of way…

8. brandann
    brandann November 22, 2007 at 3:15 pm |

ack! something ate my comment!

9. T.J. Narom
    T.J. Narom November 22, 2007 at 3:54 pm |

Some Nightwish songs would rock. Particularly:
    Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean
    Over the Hills and Far Away
    Live to Tell The Tale
    Nemo
    Planet Hell
    Creek Mary’s Blood
    Wish I Had an Angel

10. marcyfight
    marcyfight November 22, 2007 at 6:17 pm |

I would love to play Three Inches of Blood for GHIII. I love me some metal.

11. Weetz
    Weetz November 22, 2007 at 6:42 pm |

My life would be complete if they had anything by Gossip in Rock Band.

My boyfriend and I have been playing Rock Band every chance we get. It’s wonderful. We’re having a little get together this weekend and I can’t wait to have four people playing it.

12. Ferox
    Ferox November 22, 2007 at 9:23 pm |

My experience with the default backup band members in solo mode has been different — it seems like the backup members are randomly gendered, save the singer (who always matches the actual band’s singer’s gender).

If you haven’t, by the way, you should check out the bonus songs (which are unlocked most easily by just playing quickly through in solo mode, since Band World Tour is so slow and sporadic in introducing new songs). The ratio of female-to-male lead singers is much higher than in the main songs. I also think the bonus songs are really good — the Freezepop song is a ridiculous amount of fun on all four modes, especially.

13. Roxie
    Roxie November 23, 2007 at 1:50 am |

You’ve sold me on this (as has the website). It’s on my amazon wishlist now

14. Cecily
    Cecily November 23, 2007 at 2:31 am |

I play GH2…and at some point in the near future we’re getting this. Just the GameSpy review, let alone the GameSpy monster review, convinced me of that! We’re going to wait until friends are in town for the full effect, I think. I’m going to try vocals, as I’ve never gotten to play any of those karaoke games.

15. Jovan1984
    Jovan1984 November 23, 2007 at 4:15 am |

I’m not too crazy about this stuff right now. As far as my dream Guitar Hero/Rock Band songs go, I’ll have to go with the 1973 live version of Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin). Others would be You Better Run (Pat Benatar), November Rain (Guns ‘N’ Roses), I Would Die 4 U (Prince & the Revolution), Abacab (Genesis), Brother Where You Bound (Supertramp), 2112 (Rush), Thunderstruck (AC/DC), I Hate Myself for Loving You (Joan Jett), The Bitch is Back (Elton John), Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man (Bob Seger), and Let It Rain (Eric Clapton).

16. Sycorax
    Sycorax November 24, 2007 at 12:26 pm |

I’m totally in love with Rock Band, but I’m having the same difficulty with the singing that I’ve seen actual guitarists having when picking up Guitar Hero for the first time: the habits of real-life musicians are a hindrance to gameplay.

17. Holly
    Holly November 24, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

Oh, and just to be even more nerdy… this would be a great song for Rock Band.

18. William
    William November 25, 2007 at 2:15 am |

Sycorax: I second that. Picking up Karaoke revolution and giving it a whirl in front of my guitarist has to have been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I’d see a note coming and know it was to high so I’d sing a harmony or drop an octave only to have the machine tell me I was wrong. I’m dreading getting invited to my first Rock Band party.

As for songs I’d love to see, it’d be a kick to see some of the crazy stuff make it onto a release. Maybe Emperor’s “Elegy to Icarus” or Opeth’s “Bleak.”

19. Feministe » A Thanksgiving Story
    Feministe » A Thanksgiving Story November 27, 2007 at 10:18 pm |

[…] went home and ate turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and gravy. Then I collapsed. And played Rock Band for about three days, and got the current world high score for playing the bass line of […]

20. aren3
    aren3 December 2, 2007 at 6:43 pm |

Got to play this at a friend’s house over Thanksgiving. It’s tons of fun, especially when your group is pretty much evenly divided between video game geeks and band geeks.
    Since neither of my group’s resident drummers were in residence, I somehow ended up as the drummer after a few turns, which was really difficult for my somewhat rhythm challenged self but still a lot of fun.
    I was slightly annoyed by the small number of songs with female vocalists. I’m a soprano, darnit! A lot of mainstream rock isn’t in my comfortable vocal range at all. Not the game makers’ fault, but that doesn’t make it any easier for me.
    Songs I want to see? Anything by Within Temptation. Maybe “What Have You Done”, “Angels”, or “Heart of Everything.”