As usual, I am with Stephanie Coontz. If you aren’t familiar with Coontz, get thyself to Amazon, because she is an incredible social historian and feminist commentator. And go read her article. A teaser:
Perhaps it’s time to revert to a much older marital tradition. Let churches decide which marriages they deem “licit.” But let couples — gay or straight — decide if they want the legal protections and obligations of a committed relationship.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- File Under “Feminism is Good for Families” by Jill February 9, 2009
- Uh oh, they found out the real marriage plan… by Holly March 4, 2009
- “Compromise” on Same-Sex Marriage by Jill February 25, 2009
- Feminism: Great for Marriage by Jill January 26, 2010
- David Brooks has a question. by Jill March 30, 2010