1. Lisa Harney
    Lisa Harney November 27, 2007 at 8:05 pm |

Ack, the “Entering or leaving a motor vehicle or residence, or walking down the street while a trans woman of color” arrest. :(

I agree with the mixed feelings about the Day of Remembrance, as well as the attempts to milk it for the GLB cause. :( It seems like – to some – trans people only matter when they can stand on our corpses to accept donations.

Many sympathies to Mariah. I hope her cat finds its way home.

2. kactus
    kactus November 27, 2007 at 9:58 pm |

Holly, this is beautiful. Thank you. And fuck the HRC, dammit.

3. A Thanksgiving Story « Questioning Transphobia

[...] Transgender Day of Remembrance, transphobic violence, violence against women) Holly posted this story about the Transgender Day of Remembrance and Thanksgiving on [...]

4. Marissa
    Marissa November 27, 2007 at 11:09 pm |

This story breaks my heart in so many ways all at once…

5. belledame222
    belledame222 November 27, 2007 at 11:40 pm |

oh, oh. i probably shouldn’t be welling up over her having lost her cat out of everything else that’s heartbreaking, but goddamit, you’re right: pets love you unconditionally, and it’s just one more gratutious cruelty…

6. Lisa Harney
    Lisa Harney November 27, 2007 at 11:51 pm |

I did the same over the cat. :( I mean, yeah, that.

The police brutality just terrifies me. I’ve never been big on trusting the police, but stories like this just show they’re another gang.

7. drakyn
    drakyn November 28, 2007 at 12:39 am |

Is there anything any of us can do to help?
    I’m on Long Island and might be able to go into the city (if I don’t have work) to do something; even if it’s just cat/dog-sit or pass out flyers.

8. Lisa Harney
    Lisa Harney November 28, 2007 at 1:39 am |

Definitely hoping the cat makes out okay, then.

Is Mariah okay?

9. Trin
    Trin November 28, 2007 at 1:58 am |

oh holy Mother. how horrid. i have nothing at all coherent to say. fuck.

10. Marissa
    Marissa November 28, 2007 at 2:05 am |

Thanks for the cat update. On top of everything else that just about broke the camel’s back. I’m sitting here reading this and petting my own kitty. What the hell about the world considering some people less human. It makes me so upset and want to do something so bad, but I’m not sure what. The best I can do is talk to my friends and family to open their minds and hearts. It is so frustrating when I talk to my parents for instance, about this very issue and they laugh as if trannies aren’t REALLY part of the population. This coming from otherwise open-minded people who fully support human rights. The dehumanization of marginalized people makes me want to rip out my hair and I wish I could do more. My thoughts are with Mariah.

11. Jane
    Jane November 28, 2007 at 1:57 pm |

The HRC have lost their way. That’s pretty clear.

What on Earth were they looking to charge Mariah’s lawyer with? I hope he managed to get back in there for some photos after they’d gone.

12. Ailurophile
    Ailurophile November 28, 2007 at 10:57 pm |

Sending all good thoughts Mariah’s way. And I hope she is reunited with her cat. I have cats myself, and I know my first thoughts would be “are they being taken care of?” I’m glad the dog could be rescued and is being cared for.