Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Courtney
    Courtney November 27, 2007 at 2:51 pm |

That bear has…a hole in it?

2. stnemmoc
    stnemmoc November 27, 2007 at 2:56 pm |

A hole in his heart where God used to be.

3. Antigone
    Antigone November 27, 2007 at 3:23 pm |

Oh god, this brings back memories. I miss Berlin: particularily the food and public transit.

4. C. Diane
    C. Diane November 27, 2007 at 4:02 pm |

I’m going there for Christmas, and I can’t wait. I’m in it for the Weihnachtsmaerkte.

After I spent a whole 3 days there while I was studying abroad in the mid-90s, and didn’t see anywhere near everything, I wanted to go back. And now that I’m gainfully employed, I am.

Even if I harbor a less-than-secret desire to move there.

5. Ele
    Ele November 27, 2007 at 5:52 pm |

I think you would like a tour of the synagogues of Prague — each of the six or so buildings is devoted to a different aspect of the life of Czech Jews, from religious rituals to mementos from concentration camps. The Maysel Sinagogue in particular has the exhibition about the persecution of Jews in medieval and modern-ish times.

6. Red Queen
    Red Queen November 27, 2007 at 6:53 pm |

I didn’t get to see much of Berlin, but i think it had the coolest graffiti I had ever seen.

7. ataralas
    ataralas November 27, 2007 at 7:41 pm |

I am in love with Berlin. My best friend currently lives there, so I get to go visit him sometimes, when I get shuffled off to Germany for work.

I think my favorite memorial in the “omg” category is the Treptower Soviet War Memorial. It’s proof that “subtle” cannot be found in the Soviet Architect’s Handbook.

8. stickler
    stickler November 28, 2007 at 2:27 am |

Two things:

The artist whose sculpture you saw in the Neue Wache is Käthe Kollwitz, who lost a son in the First World War, and then lost a grandson in the Second. She’s a famous pacifist, artist, and activist, and has a beautiful square in Prenzlauer Berg named after her: Käthe-Kollwitz Platz (U2 Senefelder Platz).

Also: the medieval crest of the city of Berlin has, since the 1200s, featured the motif of the rampant bear. Thus, Berlin’s mascot has always been the bear. Thus, the big bear with the hole in his chest.

9. Azundris
    Azundris November 28, 2007 at 2:31 am |

The food is low-price, the rents are very cheap, and with a little luck, you don’t have to speak the funny language that sounds like something nasty in the drain. It’s OK if you’re a city person. Come to think of it, that’s probably a fair assessment: “It’s a city.”

10. Blunderbuss
    Blunderbuss November 28, 2007 at 7:13 am |

Man, I sounded like a moron while reading this post – “Oooooh.” “Woooww.” “Woah.” “Aahn.” “OOH!” “Ooh, neat.” “Hunh.” “OOOOH!!”

If I go there, I swear I will polaroid that place to death.

11. verte
    verte November 28, 2007 at 8:36 am |

Berlin — my favourite city in the universe. A friend’s organising a conference on feminism and science over there early next year, which sounds awesome. I love the city’s DIY culture, underneath all its staid imperialism.

12. Feministe » The Best Thing About Europe?
    Feministe » The Best Thing About Europe? November 29, 2007 at 11:51 am |

[...] luck in Munich. At the very least, there will be decent beer.* But Prague is lovely, and thanks to Ele’s suggestion in the comments, I’m going to try and hit up some of the synagogues while I’m here, in [...]

13. Lora
    Lora December 1, 2007 at 11:11 am |

Ooh, Berlin is my favorite city evah! I was there for New Year’s over a week a couple of years ago and I loved it. (Though I almost froze to death!) The food, the amazing museums at Museum Island, and the incredible energy that comes from each of the neighborhoods!

I just adore that city, and so want to live there one day.