Penis Soup

Spotted in the Hamburg Kunsthalle Art Gallery:

photo.jpg

For some reason, I saw it and thought of all of you.

12 comments for “Penis Soup

1. December 29, 2007 at 11:14 pm

That is somehow disturbing, but I can’t put my finger on how…

2. Molly
    December 30, 2007 at 12:16 am

I can’t quite tell if there’s an interesting statement being made about patriarchy and the stupidity of phallocentric sexuality (and general phallocentrism) … or if it’s just kind of a “Ha ha, penis squish girlies!” kind of thing.

I think it’s the latter, but this is why I’m no artist: I can never quite tell.

(Also, I can’t draw for shit.)

3. Shayne
    December 30, 2007 at 12:25 am

I’m seeing it either as the cock of god creating humankind or the cock of Satan destroying it???

4. Molly
    December 30, 2007 at 12:36 am

I’m seeing a bunch of (puny? weak?) women being literally oppressed by a giant penis wielded by a couple of sneering men–seems to me, that’s either feminist commentary or a really scary-ass fantasy of the artist.

5. zuzu
    December 30, 2007 at 12:49 am

Dude… you spooged in my soup.

6. Falyne
    December 30, 2007 at 3:09 am

I’m seeing a mortar and pestle type dealie, with sympathy aimed towards the potentially-ground-up and villainy ascribed to the sneering ones, so I’m leaning towards the feminist commentary interpretation of Mollys. Mileage may vary, however…

7. StarStorm
    December 30, 2007 at 4:00 am

“Penis Soup”?

Is THAT what they’re calling it now?

8. Sappho
    December 30, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Are you sure they are women falling/getting shoved into the soup? I thought they were men at first. But I just can’t tell.

9. December 30, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Waiter, there’s a dick in my soup.

10. louise
    December 30, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Is this one in a series? Can’t wait to see “Weiner on the Grill”, “Boner in a Bun”, “Dick for Dessert” featuring “Penis Pastries” and “Chocolate Covered Cock”…

11. December 30, 2007 at 3:17 pm

No thanks, I’m vegetarian! hahaha!

12. January 1, 2008 at 10:18 am

A woman, while dining at Crew,
    Found an elephant’s wang in her stew.
    Said the waiter, “Don’t shout,
    And wave it about,
    Or the others will all want one too.”

To me, it looks like a mortar and pestle, and it looks like there are people of both genders. [Men & women both being hurt by patriarchy??] It also kind of reminds me of the scene in “The Wall” where all the schoolchildren are marching along and falling into a giant meat grinder.

I wonder who that little dude is, at the bottom of the picture with his arms in the air.