Penis Soup

Spotted in the Hamburg Kunsthalle Art Gallery:

For some reason, I saw it and thought of all of you.

About Jill

This entry was posted in Art and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Penis Soup

1. Orodemniades says:

That is somehow disturbing, but I can’t put my finger on how…

2. Molly says:

I can’t quite tell if there’s an interesting statement being made about patriarchy and the stupidity of phallocentric sexuality (and general phallocentrism) … or if it’s just kind of a “Ha ha, penis squish girlies!” kind of thing.

I think it’s the latter, but this is why I’m no artist: I can never quite tell.

(Also, I can’t draw for shit.)

3. Shayne says:

I’m seeing it either as the cock of god creating humankind or the cock of Satan destroying it???

4. Molly says:

I’m seeing a bunch of (puny? weak?) women being literally oppressed by a giant penis wielded by a couple of sneering men–seems to me, that’s either feminist commentary or a really scary-ass fantasy of the artist.

5. zuzu says:

Dude… you spooged in my soup.

6. Falyne says:

I’m seeing a mortar and pestle type dealie, with sympathy aimed towards the potentially-ground-up and villainy ascribed to the sneering ones, so I’m leaning towards the feminist commentary interpretation of Mollys. Mileage may vary, however…

7. StarStorm says:

“Penis Soup”?

Is THAT what they’re calling it now?

8. Sappho says:

Are you sure they are women falling/getting shoved into the soup? I thought they were men at first. But I just can’t tell.

9. Lauren says:

Waiter, there’s a dick in my soup.

10. louise says:

Is this one in a series? Can’t wait to see “Weiner on the Grill”, “Boner in a Bun”, “Dick for Dessert” featuring “Penis Pastries” and “Chocolate Covered Cock”…

11. No thanks, I’m vegetarian! hahaha!

12. Frida says:

A woman, while dining at Crew,
    Found an elephant’s wang in her stew.
    Said the waiter, “Don’t shout,
    And wave it about,
    Or the others will all want one too.”

To me, it looks like a mortar and pestle, and it looks like there are people of both genders. [Men & women both being hurt by patriarchy??] It also kind of reminds me of the scene in “The Wall” where all the schoolchildren are marching along and falling into a giant meat grinder.

I wonder who that little dude is, at the bottom of the picture with his arms in the air.