Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. SarahMC
    SarahMC January 14, 2008 at 12:35 am |

Haaahahah!!

What an enormous toolbucket!

It’s MEN who say they want a president who’d be fun to have a beer with. It’s MEN who say they don’t want a president who’s voice sounds like their nagging wives’. It’s MEN who reject candidates they IMAGINE feel superior.

And yet, it’s WOMEN who vote irrationally according to their menstrual cycles?! Whaaaat?!

I WANT a president who’s superior to me. I WANT him/her to be smarter and more experienced than I am.

Is this bullshit all about Matthews’ own self-loathing – which he goes on to project on all women? What a crock of shit.

2. akeeyu
    akeeyu January 14, 2008 at 12:40 am |

I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that there are quite a few people who think Hillary Clinton is better than Chris Matthews.

3. Roxie
    Roxie January 14, 2008 at 1:01 am |

Slightly ot….I am watching HP and tCoS on Disney while I read this.

4. Jovan1984
    Jovan1984 January 14, 2008 at 2:31 am |

Pretty damn sad. I’m glad the Media Matters is calling for his head.

5. Cassandra
    Cassandra January 14, 2008 at 3:55 am |

I <3 you, SarahMC.

It.. It makes so much sense now. I mean, I always knew he was threatened and insecure (and not just by Hillary!), but to hear him whining about it so openly… Wow. What a high schooler.

6. Rosehiptea
    Rosehiptea January 14, 2008 at 6:23 am |

What the hell does being fat have to do with it? I’m fat and I don’t think Hillary Clinton feels above me about it. (Well, she doesn’t feel anything about me personally, but that’s kind of obvious.) I don’t see where he’s getting that.

And I wouldn’t have a beer with any of the candidates but I’m not voting for someone to me my new best friend.

7. preying mantis
    preying mantis January 14, 2008 at 8:22 am |

“And if you are overweight or have a problem with your diet — and I certainly did for years — you may figure Hillary doesn’t like people like me.”

…huh?

8. Brad
    Brad January 14, 2008 at 8:57 am |

Oh good grief.

and said “modern women” like Clinton are unacceptable to “Midwest guys.”

Well I guess my being born in the midwest and living here for 30 of my 33 years doesn’t make me a “midwestern guy” then. Then again if being a midwestern buy means being like Chris Mathews I’m going to give up that title immediately. Then again maybe I’m not a “midwestern guy” because I actually like Hillary and hate seeing her insulted like this. I don’t know if she’s my final choice, but this stuff is over the line.

9. annajcook
    annajcook January 14, 2008 at 9:01 am |

Love the graphic :) . . . whoever made it hasn’t read Gregory Maguire’s original Wicked novel. All I could think when I saw it was, “Hillary as Elphaba standing up to the fascist government!” Somehow, I don’t think that was the message they were going for!

10. Natalia
    Natalia January 14, 2008 at 9:55 am |

Damn right Hillary Clinton is better than Chris Matthews.

11. Natalia
    Natalia January 14, 2008 at 10:11 am |

Actually you know what? I just feel bad for Matthews. The way he rips on Clinton makes me think he’s really miserable on the inside.

12. Natalia
    Natalia January 14, 2008 at 10:15 am |

Just watched Matthews with Brokaw and an earlier video of Matthews on the Daily Show. He really is a sad guy. I say that with no snark intended.

(oh, and sorry for the multiple comments)

13. zuzu
    zuzu January 14, 2008 at 10:53 am | *

The big question is, why does MSNBC still carry his show when they dumped Phil Donahue, who had the highest-rated show on their network.

14. jfpbookworm
    jfpbookworm January 14, 2008 at 11:14 am |

And if you are overweight or have a problem with your diet — and I certainly did for years — you may figure Hillary doesn’t like people like me. She’s looking down on me. What do you think?

Yeah, Hillary obviously looks down on people who are “overweight or have a problem with their diets.” It’s not like she’d ever, say, marry someone who’s not in perfect shape and enjoys the occasional Big Mac.

15. Joan Ward
    Joan Ward January 14, 2008 at 11:38 am |

Re: Chris Matthews versus Hillary — Chris Matthews is a sharp cookie and I usually watch his program, but we have to remember that Chris is, at heart, still a Philadelphia cop! Philly is a city I know something about…lived near it all my life and worked there, met my husband there and continue to love the place. But it is a guy’s town, full of Old Boys Networks — the Mummers are a prime example of relegating the women to servant status so the men can strut their stuff in ribbons and laces. Hillary is far too sure of her footing to reassure Chris to relax and just admire Hillary, praise her for her considerable political expertise and her caring heart. At 74, I believe God made Hillary to do honor to our Suffragette Ancestors, who gave their all to get women the vote. That vote will never be fulfilled until we have a woman in the White House. Her time is at hand and we owe our liberating Suffragettes a huge debt of gratitude. Let’s be in solidarity, Sisters of all ages. In 2008, we CAN do it.

16. Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne January 14, 2008 at 11:52 am |

My eight-year-old niece is absolutely obsessed with the musical version of Wicked. She must have sung the entire soundtrack to us over Christmas — twice.

17. Karalora
    Karalora January 14, 2008 at 12:39 pm |

annajcook, at first glance, I also thought the graphic was a Wicked reference. People who want to compare Sen. Clinton to the Wicked Witch of the West would be wise to do more research into the current takes on the character, lest they say more than they intend to…

18. Mister Nice Guy 1960
    Mister Nice Guy 1960 January 14, 2008 at 10:33 pm |

OT as all get out but: now that we know more about the Wicked Witch of the West, it’s time to do some research on Cinderella’s mother. Just what kind of woman was she, considering her best friend was a fairy? A Catholic fairy, no less.