Friday Random Ten – the Countdown to Roe Day edition

1. Maxwell – For Lovers Only
2. Jill Scott – Sweet Justice
3. Ray Charles – Night Time (is the right time)
4. John Coltrane – My Little Brown Book
5. The Notwist – This Room
6. Yo La Tengo – Tiny Birds
7. Spoon – Believing is Art
8. Bob Dylan – Temporary Like Achilles
9. Sigur Ros – Hoppipolla
10. Tom Waits – Tango Till They’re Sore

And this week, at the request of someone who has possibly the worst taste in music ever, I give you the videos for pop songs that I secretly love but that will make our fearless leader shake her head in disgust.

First, the best of Ms. Mariah:

Beautiful B being totally insane:

And of course, my all-time favorite:

The first time I saw this video I was at the gym, and when I looked around the room, every single person was staring slack-jawed at MTV. It is pretty amazing.

Finally, this song has been stuck in my head for about two months straight, but I’m still loving it (and her in this video):

Enjoy.

16 comments for “Friday Random Ten – the Countdown to Roe Day edition

1. January 18, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Her hips don’t lie.

I would pay money to get my body to move like that. Sadly, I am stuck with the case of being white.

Seriously, I have so much respect for anyone who can dance like that. And her voice ain’t bad either. ;)

I <333 Alicia Keys. I would totally have her babies.

2. January 18, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Whoever induced you to abandon your music snob principles in favor of schlocky pop is obviously a terrible, terrible person. Oh the shame . . .

3. haydin
    January 19, 2008 at 1:09 am

mariah isn’t nearly as bad as I remember.

4. wriggles
    January 19, 2008 at 8:43 am

I find Shakira’s voice interesting, but Mariah Carey reminds me of that wonderful Dorothy Parker quip about Katherine Hepburn, ‘she ran the gamut of emotion from A to B.’

She’s trainned but cannot emote convincingly. And speaking of musical snobbery, I once saw her on a TV chat show, when asked why she did not become an opera singer, she said the trainning was too demanding. So the popular idiom is piss easy is it Mariah? I’d say you prove yourself worng, but millions agree with you, so that’ s alright.

5. January 19, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I have no patience for music snobs– whatsoever.

Ya’ll should watch the movie Music & Lyrics— sometimes silly pop music is the best stuff –get your toes tapping, makes you smille….

what’s so bad about that, people?

If you hate silly pop, that’s fine, but don’t guilt trip the rest of us for enjoying (probably) bad music! :)

6. January 19, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Oh, Jill. Jill…

7. January 19, 2008 at 3:55 pm

In Jill’s defence, her list has Sigur Ros and Spoon and Yo La Tengo on it: her music snobbery is in full force, despite all video evidence to the contrary.

8. January 19, 2008 at 4:59 pm

I’ve taken two years worth of belly dancing classes and my hips are flat out liars. Shakira = goddess.

And don’t abandon shallow pop music! Seriously. Sometimes good music is just good music, regardless of the source.

9. Kitty
    January 19, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Beyonce’s not as bad as I remember, which is weird. Maybe Dreamgirls made me appreciate her more or something.

10. Meghan
    January 19, 2008 at 5:27 pm

I love “Always Be My Baby” and I won’t apologize. I’m delighted the video was embedded. Thank you.

11. January 19, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Confession: I actually really liked Britney’s new album.

12. SJ
    January 20, 2008 at 1:50 am

I love that fucking nutty Mimi. And speaking of Crazy B, this is one of my fave tributes to Beyonce ever: http://fourfour.typepad.com/fourfour/2007/11/beyonc-is-a-lun.html

13. January 20, 2008 at 8:45 am

The best of Mariah? That’s an oxymoron!

14. January 20, 2008 at 11:34 am

Lauren– thank God I’m not alone. I liked Britney’s new album too! Wow, it feels good to admit that… like a giant weight has been lifted ;)

15. Jovan1984
    January 20, 2008 at 3:18 pm

My Random Ten, 1973 Edition:

01. Us and Them/Any Colour You Like/Brain Damage [14:57] — Pink Floyd
    02. The Ancient [18:35] — Yes
    03. Free Bird [09:10] — Lynyrd Skynyrd
    04. 5:15 [04:50] — The Who
    05. Walk Like a Man [04:03] — Grand Funk Railroad
    06. The Cinema Show [11:06] — Genesis
    07. Waitin’ for the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago [06:25] — ZZ Top
    08. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding [11:06] — Elton John
    09. Knocking On Heaven’s Door [02:30] — Bob Dylan
    10. A Passion Play [45:01] — Jethro Tull

BTW, I love the music video for Destiny’s Child’s Bills, Bills, Bills.