So you won’t get the bogus $300 tax rebate, John. I won’t, either. Somehow, I will manage to pick up the pieces of my shattered life and move on.
There are two main problems with Aravosis’ argument, such as it is: First, individuals making $75,001 and couples making $150,001 are not poor, even if they live in DC or San Francisco or NYC*. Second, considering that the deal was brokered only because Nancy Pelosi dropped her insistence that unemployment benefits be extended and food stamps temporarily increased as part of any stimulus package, the following rings a little hollow:
And rather than being geared towards helping the economy, they’re apparently geared towards redistributing wealth (that would be our wealth) to the poor. What a surprise. Folks in the middle (i.e, those who are not rich or poor) are screwed by the Democrats (and Republicans) yet again.
Does he imagine that people who make less than $75K a year don’t pay any taxes at all, such that they’re taking “his” money?
H/T: Air Pollution.
* Yes, it does suck that the rebate is not indexed to the local cost of living. But the whining Aravosis does about the relative size of his friend’s house in Baltimore vs. what is presumably his studio in DC (I’m presuming because he goes on and fucking on about studios) is unseemly. Dude, you’re paying to live in DC, not for the square footage of your living space. Just like people pay through the nose to live in a shoebox in Manhattan because they want to live in Manhattan. And that’s their choice, because it’s not like there aren’t other options. The friend who lives in Baltimore has a house because he lives in Baltimore instead of DC. I live in NYC, and my housing costs, for a large apartment, are quite reasonable — but then, I live in central Brooklyn, in a neighborhood that was only discovered by hipsters a couple of years ago.
- This is your brain. This is your brain on Ayn Rand. Any questions? by zuzu January 25, 2008
- Why are poor people poor? It’s not the reason you thought! by Cara January 7, 2009
- Sorry babe, my cartel of virtue got hijacked by Jill October 23, 2006
- Sick. by Jill January 19, 2007
- Adrianne Curry boycotts BET and Black History Month by Jill September 25, 2007