Thought the whining of Aravosis was bad? Check out Megan McArdle on the economic stimulus package, and why she agrees with the GOP that food stamps shouldn’t be included:
1) The poor don’t need more food. Obesity is a problem for the poor in America; except for people who are too screwed up to get food stamps (because they don’t have an address), food insufficiency is not.
2) Food stamps only imperfectly translate into increased cash income, meaning that the poor will spend . . . more money on food…
5) The economy doesn’t need a food sector more distorted by daft government programs than it already is. If you want to give money to the poor, give it to them. Even if they spend it all on drugs, it will hardly be much worse than spending it all on increasing their already astronomical obesity rates.
See, if we give poor people food stamps, they’ll just buy food with them! And they’re already fatty fat fat! But if we give them money, they’ll just buy drugs. Which is better, because at least the drugs won’t make them fat.
Remember, kids: she gets paid for these fine opinions. Welfare for poor people is bad, but wingnut welfare? A-OK!
H/T: teratologist, who rightly notes that it’s getting really hard for the Onion to keep up.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Matthew Boyle steals from the government to prove that poor people don’t need food. by Jill December 9, 2010
- Why are poor people poor? It’s not the reason you thought! by Cara January 7, 2009
- GOP’s Ideology over Sound Economics by Jill January 25, 2008
- A Conservative Trifecta: Fat-shaming, welfare-state-hating, and victim-blaming by Jill January 9, 2007
- Obama getting it wrong on birth control by Jill January 27, 2009