Hillary’s NY Speech

Best line: “I especially want to thank my mother, who was born before women could vote, and who is watching her daughter on this stage tonight.”

Nice.

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. RenegadeEvolution
    RenegadeEvolution February 6, 2008 at 1:49 am |

that is a great line.

2. Pizza Diavola
    Pizza Diavola February 6, 2008 at 2:45 am |

A nice piece of historical perspective, there. I remember being surprised in elementary school when I learned how recently women had gotten the right to vote, and then again in college when I learned that the university hadn’t admitted women until the late ’60s. These reminders are good.

3. zuzu
    zuzu February 6, 2008 at 2:47 am |

I used to work for a woman who was a complete and utter nutcase (we referred to her as Captain Queegette), but who had run into serious discrimination in her legal career.

She had graduated from Harvard Law School, near the top of her class, in the early 60s. The only job she was able to get was as a calendar clerk at the firm where she eventually met her husband, who was the son of the firm’s founder. She was way the hell more talented than him, but he was always in front of her professionally, just because he didn’t have to deal with being shunted into a support role.

Sandra Day O’Connor had the same route to her own glass ceiling — when she graduated from Stanford, having been editor in chief of the law review, the best job she could get was as a legal secretary at William Rehnquist’s firm in Phoenix.

Even though my ex-boss was one of the hardest people I have ever had to work for (which is saying a lot), I recognize that she had more than the glass ceiling to work with. It’s why, when I saw people mocking Harriet Myers or Condoleezza Rice for being single, that I knew that they likely had to make a choice between traditional family and career to get where they are. I was very quick to defend them. Mostly because women can’t win under those rules.

4. TinaH
    TinaH February 6, 2008 at 10:22 am |

My mother-in-law was among the first women to graduate from Wharton. She is tougher than nails. I’m very proud of her. It’s not easy.

5. carol h
    carol h February 6, 2008 at 10:39 am |

My mother was born the year women got the vote and yesterday my daughter voted for the first time. My husband and I are both scientists, but I work in his lab. The women in my generation who made it in science are overwhelmingly single or if married, childless. It’s only slightly better for women starting scientific careers today. They can be married and have one child or maybe two, but only if their husbands will fulfill the tradiontal female role of chief childrearer. My daughter is an engineering major currently looking for internships and last week went to an internship fair. She said that she was mainly ignored while the interviewers talked to the men. She’s a 6 foot blond with the body of the varsity athelete she was until this semester and thinks the interviewers didn’t take her seriously as an engineer. It’s still out there. Go Hillary!

6. MC
    MC February 6, 2008 at 10:57 am |

Okay, I didn’t vote for Hillary (Obama supporter, here), but that is awesome.

7. Dianne
    Dianne February 6, 2008 at 11:24 am |

Psst: Grandmothers make things much easier. My mother-out-of-law filled the 9 to 3 caregiver slot for my daughter until she went to preschool. My partner did 3 to 6 and then did some work in the evening. Of course, he has tenure, so if he never works again, no one can do anything about it. Of course, he gets praised for being a great, highly involved father whereas I get guilted as an evil career mother, even though we both spend about the same amount of time with the critter.

8. SarahMC
    SarahMC February 6, 2008 at 11:55 am |

If Clinton is elected president I think I’ll probably just weep (not of sadness).

9. carol h
    carol h February 6, 2008 at 12:29 pm |

Dianne, you and your child are very lucky to have had a grandmother help in this way. We have a post-doc working in our lab who also had a grandma take care of her son until he was old enough for day care. Her husband is an elementary school teacher so he has regular work hours and takes care of her two little boys in the afternoons. I forgot the grandmothers and you are right, they can help make these things possible.

10. RKMK
    RKMK February 6, 2008 at 12:59 pm |

I read that on Shakesvillle, and I have to admit: I got more than a little misty. *sniff*

11. Pithy Bitch » Blog Archive » Women In Politics

[...] – Hillary Clinton (via Feministe) [...]

12. BAC
    BAC February 6, 2008 at 3:32 pm |

That was my favorite line, too.

BAC

13. meggygurl
    meggygurl February 6, 2008 at 5:06 pm |

I think I will weep too. Honestly… I think I will weep if EITHER of them gets elected. A woman OR a black man. Part of me wants Hillary to get it cause I think if Obama doesn’t, this won’t be the last we have seen of him. I do believe he will be president at some point.

My grandmother was also born before women could vote… and I wish to god she were alive to see this.

14. donna darko
    donna darko February 6, 2008 at 6:29 pm |

I remember when women couldn’t wear pants to work. This was the 70s or 80s.

Clinton because I think she’ll do the best job cleaning up the mess in this country. No pun intended. That’s all.

15. pumpkin
    pumpkin February 6, 2008 at 6:52 pm |

That line really was glorious – chills up your spine stuff. My college at university allowed women to join in 1972. The only portrait of a woman in our Great Hall was the wife of one of the former Professors.

But I’m now, Dianne (from post 7) obsessed with “mother-out-of-law.” I’ve tried numerous ways to describe my partner’s mother, and am totally nicking that.