Women and Girls Make Art

First, Girls Rock! The movie:

Gotta see it. That preview made me tear up a little. I wish I had had something like that when I was an angsty, miserable 8th grader. These girls are really inspiring.

And if you’re in LA, this feminist street art project looks incredible. “Women in the City” is a “viral public art exhibition” featuring the works of Cindy Sherman, Jenny Holzer, Louise Lawler and Barbara Kruger(!). A full list of the pieces and locations is here. Send pics if you see these pieces up on the streets.

12 comments for “Women and Girls Make Art

1. Evan
    February 11, 2008 at 10:24 pm

Too bad I live in Europe, because this will probably not be released very widely here.

I have a question about this site’s name. Is it pronounced fem-ih-neest, or fem-ih-nees-tay, or some other way? The internet is wonderful, but sometimes I feel like an idiot when I try to tell people about stuff I find on the net and don’t know how to pronounce it.

2. Marissa
    February 11, 2008 at 11:00 pm

I wish I were in LA for this event. Oh my god it sounds rad.

When I was little I always wondered why it was that almost everyone I heard singing on the internet was male. I assumed men must just be cooler and more talented. Sad world.

3. Marissa
    February 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Radio… not internet…

4. February 12, 2008 at 10:00 am

Wow, that movie trailer is ADORABLE. And by “adorable” I mean “fiercely kick-ass.” In honor of those kids I’m going to take my all-girl Rock Band team and attempt to crush the 90% male competition tomorrow at the tournament in Union Square. Whooo!!

5. February 12, 2008 at 10:59 am

My friend is one of the founders of the Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls in New York – they’re amazing and if you want to know more or get involved, here’s the link. They’re always looking for donors / supporters, and they RULE. They play a gig at the end of each camp that’s open to the public, and is phenomenal. This is one of my favourite quotes from the website:

Rock camp is dedicated to the proposition that music belongs to everyone. We want girls to feel they can just jump in and play guitar, work the soundboard, direct music videos, and write songs about what matters to them. We want to encourage them to explore the openness and freedom and fighting spirit of homemade music, and make it their own. And we want them to carry that feeling with them in whatever they do.

6. Jennifer Kaufman
    February 12, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Yes, this movie does “fiercely kick ass.” I saw it at the Milwaukee International Film Festival and was blown away. Here is my review:

7. Pingback: cultpilot
  8. Jennifer
    February 13, 2008 at 4:08 am

Evan: It’s def pronounced “fem-ih-neest”.

9. February 13, 2008 at 7:28 pm

The last girl made me tear up. Granted, lots of things are making me tear up lately. But still.

The really sad thing? I would have loved something like that as a teen. But my self-esteem was so low that even if it was available, I probably never would have gone.

10. wall-flower
    February 13, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I saw “Girls Rock” at the Maine Film Festival and it totally rocks. Everyone should definitely keep an eye out for it and see it if they get a chance!