Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Marnanel
    Marnanel February 19, 2008 at 5:51 pm |

I love xkcd.

2. bibliothecaire
    bibliothecaire February 19, 2008 at 6:00 pm |

I’ve been a fan of xkcd for a while now, and I’m always happy that girl geeks are for the most part well-represented in the comic.

3. Marked Hoosier
    Marked Hoosier February 19, 2008 at 6:27 pm |

I <3 xkcd.

4. Poetry
    Poetry February 19, 2008 at 7:27 pm |

I love xkcd for addressing the issue of girl geek invisibility. I’m on my college quiz bowl team (the epitome of nerdiness) and the scene is very male-dominated. Sometimes at first my team isn’t taken as seriously because it’s mostly female. Girl nerds and geeks unite!

5. Official Shrub.com Blog » Blog Archive » The double standard: “Doesn’t that perpetuate sexism?”

[…] The double standard: “Doesn’t that perpetuate sexism?” by Andrea Rubenstein [tekanji] @ 3:43 pm How it Works (hat tip Feministe) […]

6. ttrygve
    ttrygve February 19, 2008 at 7:57 pm |

He also had a great strip on sexism in online communities/forums.

7. bunny214
    bunny214 February 20, 2008 at 1:47 pm |

dead on!

8. exholt
    exholt February 20, 2008 at 5:22 pm |

One immediate proof of how this is mainly an American stereotype is that if you look at other countries such as China or Iceland, these stereotypes do not seem applicable. In the former, just as many women major/work in math and science fields as men…and I remembered reading that in the latter…slightly more women majored/worked in math/science fields than their male counterparts.

From examining my own family from my maternal grandmother/great-aunts onwards, most of the women tended to gravitate towards science/technology/medical/business fields.

9. Azundris
    Azundris February 21, 2008 at 1:35 am |

Shorter xkcd oeuvre: “I supposedly run a web-comic, but I can’t be arsed to draw shit’s worth.”