Simmie Williams, a 17-year-old kid, was shot and killed this morning. Simmie is alternately being referred to as a “cross-dresser” and a “transvestite” in the (already limited) press coverage. I’m having a hard time finding out details about what happened, since the news stories are simply telling me that Simmie was “dressed like a woman” and “he” had a verbal argument with two men (no info on whether Simmie identified as male or female, but the press is apparently comfortable choosing for Simmie). No quotes from Simmie’s family or friends. None of the usual humanizing comments or tidbits from people who knew Simmie. Just the usual identification of a freak, an impostor “dressed as a woman.”
Wonder why that could be.
You know, we could actually decide to do something about the Simmie Williamses and the Sanesha Stewarts and the Bella Evangelistas and all the victims whose names never make the papers, but instead our news media is bloviating about boys in the girls’ room. So you’ll forgive me if I kind of feel like throwing something right now.
Instead, I read Holly and I read Little Light and I cry. And I feel so, so ashamed of being part of a society that does this to people.
Thanks to Tatiana for the link — and for the simple statement that “People are assholes.” That just about sums it up.
- Kill them to kill part of yourself by Holly February 17, 2008
- Right-wing shock jocks: Now attacking children by Jill June 5, 2009
- Define/perpetuate by piny March 21, 2008
- What would they say if you were dead? by Jill December 4, 2008
- Does Duke have a required first-year writing course? Because they really should. by Jill February 21, 2008