Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. FashionablyEvil
    FashionablyEvil April 4, 2008 at 1:29 pm |

Here’s another one: using women’s bodies to sell recycling

2. harlemjd
    harlemjd April 4, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

huh. I guess nakedness to raise awareness of skin cancer makes sense, since one doesn’t usually wear much to sunbathe. the rest of them, not so much.

3. Holly
    Holly April 4, 2008 at 2:34 pm |

Not a bad article — a sight better than when the same author tries to take on trans issues by insisting we’re all confused and conforming to gendered stereotypes, at least.

4. pennylane
    pennylane April 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |

Yeah–I’d love to hear what PETA’s “phenomenal results” are. More donations from hornball dudes? I think the fighting sex trafficking with nudity is my favorite. What the hell?

Glad to see you mentioned but the article that Holly mentioned–ew.

5. Hugo
    Hugo April 4, 2008 at 8:05 pm |

Congrats on the quote in the Guardian, Jill. The charities I give to don’t pull this crap, which is why I pay my minimum PETA dues annually and no more.

6. Sarah
    Sarah April 5, 2008 at 12:34 am |

I like the point of the article–Bindel’s good when she’s not transphobic. Aside from these two sentences:

Last November, a woman working in a brothel in Chile became an instant “celebrity” when the national news picked up the story that she had auctioned 27 hours of sex and raised $4,000 for a disabled children’s charity. No one at the charity seemed concerned that vulnerable children were being supported by the proceeds of prostitution.

Is it really feminist to think that any charitable work done by a prostitute is dirty, just because of the occupation?

7. ol cranky
    ol cranky April 5, 2008 at 5:04 pm |

I have to say the biggest problem I had with PETA’s I’d rather go naked than wear fur campaign was the fact that the women that were featured were naked (or damn near close to it) on a pretty regular basis as part of the jobs that made them famous. Of course the fact that some of those models did model/wear fur or other animal products puts a huge spotlight on the bullshit and hypocrisy of both PETA and many celebrities.

As for the other campaigns featuring women as sex objects, a naked model to speak for skin cancer awareness presents a natural and legitimate use of nudity for a public service message. Mind you, they’d have a greater impact by using both male and female skin.