1. rowmyboat
    rowmyboat April 7, 2008 at 12:16 pm |

Can’t say anything about newspaper coverage, but there was a bit on NPR this morning. I only caught the end of it though.

2. shah8
    shah8 April 7, 2008 at 1:55 pm |

For those of you who find yourselves interested in topics like this, it’s one of the things that Leanan, the newagregator blogmonster over at theoildrum, does very well. This process is happening all over the world. Pakistan and the Phillipines are also major hotspots in this issue.

3. Dreams and Links « Words From The Center, Words From The Edge

[…] that hasn’t really hit the American news yet is the protests that are happening in Egypt. Fauzia, who is currently in Egypt breaks it down over at Feministe and wonders at why the U.S. is so interested in “liberating” and “sharing […]

4. Liz
    Liz April 7, 2008 at 4:17 pm |

thanks for sharing…. I was in Egypt this January. I heard of some discontent (my tour guides alluded to discontent and the repression of that discontent, but very carefully), but for the most part my professor (grew up in the upper class in Egypt, but now works and lives in the United States) downplayed any discontent, often saying that everyone always has bread. Anyways I’ll have to keep checking on this.

5. Entomologista
    Entomologista April 7, 2008 at 4:23 pm |

Food prices are up all over the world. You can thank ethanol production for that.

6. Hawise
    Hawise April 7, 2008 at 5:14 pm |

The World Food Program is expecting to face a near 1/2 billion dollar deficit if things continue as they are and if no new countries are added to the list of those needing emergency food aid. http://www.wfp.org/english/

Several rice producing countries including India are already talking about shutting off exports due to reduced production. It isn’t just ethanol- wars, fuel costs, ecological damage, lack of replacements of farmers and a movement to higher value export crops has all impacted world food resources to the detriment of the least fortunate. The world is facing a perfect storm of factors that are making it harder to provide food assistance to those who are most in need. At the top end, we see higher prices; at the bottom, they are seeing nothing.

7. Kat
    Kat April 8, 2008 at 8:22 pm |

Ahlan, Fauzia. I’m going to be studying Arabic in Egypt this summer at the Sibawayh Center. I’m an American and this will be my first time out of the US. Are there any books, blogs, whatever that you can recommend? And can you give me any sort of advice?

(I’m sorry for not commenting on the story.)

8. buzz saw
    buzz saw April 17, 2008 at 9:58 am |

Thank you for the blog post. I have quoted you extensively and linked to you also.

Best wishes,