Lots of self-styled progressives have suggested that Jim Webb would be a good choice for Obama’s VP pick. Kathy G explains why Webb is the wrong choice — especially for women.
Picking another Southern white dude is not the answer — especially when that Southern white dude is a former Republican (he worked in the Reagan administration) who remains conservative, and who launched all-out assaults on women. Sure, he lends some foreign policy credibility, but he also attacked women in the military, painting them as pampered sluts who are bringing our boys down. In the same article, he implies that rape and intimate partner violence are “the price we are paying … for the realignment of sexual roles.” Yes, the article is 30 years old. Yes, Webb has recently said it was an “overreach” — when he was running for office and it became clear that women’s votes could make or break the campaign.
I don’t like him, I don’t trust him, and I think it’s about time the Democrats stopped assuming that sticking a conservative white Southern dude in the second chair is the key to winning the election. It’s a slap in the face to the party’s base; it doesn’t work; and it undermines Obama’s message of change.
Let’s hope they turn their sights elsewhere.
- The Mask Slips, A Continuing Series by zuzu August 15, 2006
- Now I’m Really Confused by Jill September 14, 2006
- Why calling out misogyny matters, part 2: When misogyny is used against men by zuzu April 1, 2008
- I think a dictionary may have helped her out here by Jill March 4, 2008
- The Ladies of CPAC by Jill February 23, 2010