California Love

gay_7.jpg

Way to go, California — today is the big day:

SAN FRANCISCO—It is either the end of the beginning, or the beginning of the end, depending on your point of view. After weeks of preparation—and for many couples, years of waiting—at 5:01 p.m. today, at the close of business, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom will preside over the wedding ceremony of Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon, a lesbian couple who have been partners more than 50 years. When they exchange vows, Martin, 87, and Lyon, 83, who have been together since they moved into a Castro Street apartment on Valentine’s Day in 1953, will become the first same-sex couple to be legally married in the state.

It’s a good day.

And it’s pathetic that religious fundamentalists have nothing better to do than torment two women who have been together since the 1950s, and try to strip rights away from all the other average people in this country who are only looking to marry the person they love.

But today, congratulations, California. You done good.

10 comments for “California Love

1. William
    June 16, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Congratulation to Martin and Lyon, congratulations to all the couples who will finally be able to have a little dignity in California. Forget about the religious fundamentalists, forget about the politics, forget about the milestones and the states that are working hard to make this happen, forget about enormous a step this really is. Forget about all the trappings and, for just a moment, lets all bask in the simple joy of knowing more people will dedicate their lives to one another in the next few weeks than otherwise might have been able to.

Its a bright new day, and I’m proud to be alive to see it.

2. Sarah
    June 16, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I’ve been blubbery all week in anticipation of today. Martin and Lyon deserve not only congratulations on their milestone, but whole-hearted thanks for their tireless activism, and for their willingness to sacrifice their time and privacy, fighting an unjust system.

3. Liz
    June 16, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I actually went and bought about 2 dozen loose flowers and had planned on going to the courthouse in my county after work and handing them out to the newly married couples until I ran out, but my work schedule won’t permit it today. But still, every time I look at them I get excited and remember how great of a day this is for Californians.

I only wish I could say Americans.

4. June 16, 2008 at 3:26 pm
  5. June 16, 2008 at 3:28 pm

When I teach gay and lesbian history, we spend some time on the Daughers of Bilitis, which Del and Phyllis willed into existence nearly six decades ago. They were married by Newsom in 2004, but that was in express defiance of the court — this is in accordance with the will of court, and as we will see validated in November, the will of the people. We’re gonna win this ballot initiative, wait and see.

On Mama’s side, I’m a sixth-generation Californian. Rarely have I been prouder than I am today.

6. June 16, 2008 at 3:38 pm

This is a great day to be able to say I’m from California!

7. Nic
    June 16, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Awesome. I remember when Martin and Lyon were married a few years ago (unfortunately it was ruled to be illegal or some such nonsense). One article had a picture of them embracing after the ceremony. It was so beautiful that I sat down and started to cry. Congratulations to them and all the other couples, and may I just say: Way to fucking go, California!

8. June 16, 2008 at 9:25 pm

Although I think the city-level is one of the most important and high-leverage positions for social change, the phrase “President Gavin Newsom” warms my heart.

9. June 16, 2008 at 10:24 pm

The way I noted it on my blog was to reference an article in the Sunday Times to the effect that some gay people who had gotten married are now getting divorced; some are not getting married, because living together is just fine with them; some have one partner who wants to get married, and one who doesn’t, and some who want to get married are planning to do just that. And we had people who worried that gay couples would destroy the institution of marriage? They all sound pretty normal, to me….