Yes We Cunt

Just in case you needed a (humorous) reminder of why John McCain is such an ass-bag (warning: not work- or child-safe because it uses the word “cunt” repeatedly):

And yes, in case you haven’t heard the story (because the mainstream media hasn’t been reporting it), John McCain did indeed call his wife a cunt. The direct quote, actually, is “At least I don’t plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt” (and yes, apparently people still do use the word “trollop”).

He also scheduled a fund-raiser with a man who is nationally famous for saying that rape is like the weather — “As long as it’s inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it.”

If that’s “straight talk,” he can keep it.

24 comments for “Yes We Cunt

1. Chel
    June 17, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Yeah I saw this on Pandagon earlier today. Hilllarious video.

2. Marked Hoosier
    June 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm

How can anyone use trollop and cunt in the same sentence… it shouldn’t be possible!

3. June 18, 2008 at 1:02 am

Love the title of your post! I am working on a post right now that refers to this very quote from Johnny boy. I will link to you and maybe we can start a mainstreaming of this news cuz the pundits at the corporate media are not going to be advertising McCain’s quote anytime soon…

4. June 18, 2008 at 1:07 am

Sen. McCain is a straight crook, just like Bush.

5. Manju
    June 18, 2008 at 1:43 am

I’m torn on this one:

1. like the michelle obama whitey tape, hasn’t really been proved. the 3 reporters who heard it insist on “anonymity.” sounds suspicious.

2. even if true, is this like bill clinton’s sex life, essentially private? would using it be considered part of the politics of personal destruction?

3. if i recall, when the W campaign bought up McCain’s “temper” they where excoriated for playing into veteran stereotypes. why is it OK now?

6. June 18, 2008 at 8:38 am

and yes, apparently people still do use the word “trollop”

No, they don’t. Just J. Montgomery Burns.

Election08 = ETERNAL WIN

7. Caravelle
    June 18, 2008 at 9:45 am

As for the rape, weather, lay back and enjoy it thing : I’ve seen several people quote it as “comparing rape to weather”, but from what I gathered that’s not what he did. He compared weather to rape.

The difference is pretty significant to me, in the first case you’re trivializing rape by comparing it to the weather, which is bad. In the second case you’re trivializing bad weather by comparing it to rape. Which makes rape pretty trivial indeed.

So I think he should be quoted accurately on that one.

8. June 18, 2008 at 10:48 am

i dunno jill, i saw this story a long time ago but it seems very suspicious. “anonymous” sources that came out during the heated 2000 presidential campaign, seems even more vague than the swift-boaters.

i would hesitate to promote these sorts of unattributed and unsubstantiated stories. there’s already more than enough reasons to dislike mccain.

9. June 18, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I agree, Morningstar. We already know he’s bad for women, and we’ve already got him on tape regarding “beating the bitch.” Until a witness goes on the record, by name, I wouldn’t put this in circulation.

10. June 18, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Here’s youtube to the rescue… McCain gets asked about the incident in one of his famous town hall meeting.

11. FreddyBak
    June 18, 2008 at 3:25 pm

It seems to me the video is rightfully poking fun at how easy it is to make someone think something is true just by repeating it on the internet and having bloggers link to it. Oh wait…

12. Renatta McPhee
    June 18, 2008 at 4:11 pm

I’m sure he said it, and frankly as a line, it kills, it’s hilarious. Cunt just tickles my funny bone. I’m voting for Obama, but I’m not too uptight to appreciate McCain’s ribald humor.

13. Lala
    June 18, 2008 at 6:35 pm

oh my goodness that was the best laugh I had all day. can we get them a news center show in the Reno 9-11 vein?

14. Manju
    June 18, 2008 at 7:35 pm

i guess there really isn’t any proof that he said this. in that case jill’s paralleling those racists who claim Michelle Obama’s on tape condemning “whitey.” yes, racists… b/c its racially divisive and an ethnic stereotype.

so this is the gendered equivalent. i could live with the swift boating if it weren’t so misogynistic?

15. Discontented_Clownfish
    June 18, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I love this video so much. Election08 has a bunch of good stuff.

16. Manju
    June 19, 2008 at 2:07 am

3 witnesses who insist on anonymity told me he once called his wife “sweetie.”

17. Manju
    June 19, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Thing is, he was asked this by an audience member at a townhall meeting and his response was to ignore it. He could’ve said, ‘Yes, and I regret it’, or he could’ve denied it. He just didn’t answer.

Obama didn’t deny the “whitey” rumor when frst asked either… read his own words (ignore ben smith’s misleading headline):

“We have seen this before. There is dirt and lies that are circulated in e-mails and they pump them out long enough until finally you, a mainstream reporter, asks me about it,” Obama said to the McClatchy reporter during a press conference aboard his campaign plane. “That gives legs to the story. If somebody has evidence that myself or Michelle or anybody has said something inappropriate, let them do it.”

Asked whether he knew it not to be true, Obama said he had answered the question, my colleague Carrie Budoff Brown reports from the plane.

“Frankly, my hope is people don’t play this game,” Obama said. “It is a destructive aspect of our politics. Simply because something appears in an e-mail, that should lend it no more credence than if you heard it on the corner. Presumably the job of the press is to not to go around and spread scurrilous rumors like this until there is actually anything, an iota, of substance or evidence that would substantiate it.”

Before Obama could answer, communications director Robert Gibbs interjected: “You just did.”

“That is my point,” Obama said. “I just think people have to think about it before they ask.”

18. June 19, 2008 at 1:24 pm

19. fishbane
    June 19, 2008 at 9:49 pm

People born after the Cambrian period do, in fact, use the word “trollop”. In fact, that’s my nickname with a certain group of people. Maybe we’re smirking postmodernists, or something.