Let This Be a Lesson

Just in case anyone is somehow surprised by this, let me explain very carefully: if you take a man who was fired from being a radio host for saying racist and misogynistic things, and give him a new job as a radio host, chances are that when given the opportunity, he will say more racist things.  On the arrest(s) of Dallas Cowboy Adam Jones:

Newsreader Warner Wolf: …[H]e’s been arrested six times since being drafted by Tennesse in 2005…

IMUS: What color is he?

Warner Wolf: …He’s African-American

IMUS: Well. There you go. Now we know.

Just for the record, the folks at Radio ABC Networks (who now broadcasts Imus’ show, since MSNBC fired his ass) are not those who I think might need this explanation.  On the contrary, I think they knew exactly what they were getting when signing that contract, and racism, money-maker that it is, was absolutely a part of the deal.

Media Matters has yet to pick up on this story, but it seems that this morning, the mainstream media has.  Imus apparently claims that he was trying to “make a sarcastic point,” and says some crap about how he has black people on his show, so the comment could not have been racist.  Obviously.  With regards to the comment, he also wondered aloud, seemingly without irony, “How insane would I have to be? What would I be thinking?”

Media Matters lists the contact info for complains about Imus in the Morning as customerservice@abc.com . . . if for some reason you still believe that emailing them might make a difference.

This entry was posted in Celebrity, Crime, Media & Media Literacy, Racism and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Let This Be a Lesson

1. Roger says:

You are a F—ing Idiot!

You didn’t watch the program, you didn’t listen to the dialogue leading up to the remark, all you did is read a two-sentence transcript out of context … and all of a sudden, Imus is at it again!

Let me ask you this, Einstein … Dick Gregory, the esteeemed Dick Gregory, a Civil Rights Activist before Al Sharpton even thought of becoming a ‘Reverend’, is on Imus’ show this morning, greeting him with “God bless you, my brother.” Do you honestly think that Dick Gregory would appear with Imus this morning if HE considered these remarks as racist??

You self-appointed guardians of political correctness need to look up the definition of “satire” and learn to examine comments in their full context instead of reacting to gotcha sound-bites … this uninformed vendetta is getting real tired.

2. Cara says:

Roger, while I find your comment very amusing, if you take the time to follow the links, you’ll see that there’s audio with full context. You’re right; when you add the context of Imus joking that of course people get shot at clubs, because people are doing drugs and alcohol there, and it’s “what happens,” it’s totally not racist.

Would you like to explain what Imus is satirizing? Is it racist comments like the ones that he himself has the history of making?

3. Glossolalia Black says:

I saw that this morning before work on CNN. He’s spinning it that he was trying to make the point, “Of course he’s getting picked on! He’s black! Black men never get a break,” or something to that degree.

The crap before it about shooting at clubs/drugs/women was, I believe, an attempt at “wry humor”.

I’m too stupefied to be really offended. And also kinda locking in for the inevitable crapfest that’s gonna follow this. I’m exhausted from the last one and my mere existence as a woman of color during it.

4. Jack says:

Did you see Imus’ explanation this morning?

Imus resurrected his radio career six months ago with a pledge to mend the wounds caused by a racist and sexist comment he made about a women’s basketball team.

On Tuesday he said he was following the spirit of that promise by calling attention to the unfair treatment of blacks — in this case the arrests of suspended Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones.

“What people should be outraged about is that they arrest blacks for no reason,” Imus said Tuesday. “I mean, there’s no reason to arrest this kid six times. Maybe he did something once, but everyone does something once.”

I mean, not that I buy the explanation. Seems like he would’ve said this yesterday if that’s what he was thinking when he made the comment. It’s another ridiculous turn in a ridiculous situation. But heh… imagine if he is telling the truth? If so – what an idiot!

5. mythago says:

Which makes Roger’s bloviating especially amusing. Taken in context, Imus’s remark was obviously racist. Only by taking it out of context is there any hope of pretending that what Imus really meant was “of course they arrested him; if he were white the police would have left him alone”.

6. norbizness says:

Of course he’s black, he’s playing cornerback in the NFL. We can’t hang our hopes on Jason Sehorn anymore, my pasty brethren.

7. Anna says:

You know, when I’m trying to make a sarcastic point, and I do it wrong, I go with the “Oh, I’m sorry – that was sarcasm. I know the ‘joke’ isn’t funny once you have to explain it, but here’s what I meant.”

But then, I don’t get paid to be racist on the radio.

8. Juan says:

Wow, stupid showing up on the comment.

So is any surprised that that jackass Imus would do it again? Anyone? Show of hands please?

9. Radfem says:

Well, since he’s from here, we always hear about all his nasty stuff.

10. Renee says:

Well it seems BHO is wrong when he claims that the civil rights movement got us 90% there. Men like Imus are encouraged because they are never made to pay for their commentary. Even as I write this Dog the Bounty Hunter is busy filming his new season. He was recorded calling his son girlfriend a Nigger and using that word over and over again. We claim that we are against racism until it contradicts with making money.

11. Renee says:

I am not at all surprised that he is back on the air doing his same old tricks. We don’t really punish people for racism, when it conflicts with making money. Another really good example of this is dog the bounty hunter. He referred to his sons girlfriend using the N word. In the tape that was recorded he said the N word in reference to blacks over and over again. It seems racism is bad until it conflicts with the almighty dollar and then all illusions go out the door.

12. Bitter Scribe says:

I’m really not inclined to give Imus the benefit of the doubt on this one.

13. Margalis says:

The comments about nightclubs sound like they could be sarcasm. The way he phrased it comes of as purposely silly.

His explanation is not implausible. “Well, there you go” is not enough for me to break out the torches and pitchforks.

I was with you with the asshole tennis player but this is just looking to be offended. Could he have had racist intent? Sure. Could it have been commentary the other way? Sure.

Only black people go clubbing? News to me.

14. Jeff says:

If Imus really meant “Of course he’s getting picked on! He’s black! Black men never get a break,” why didn’t he say so AT THE TIME? All he had to do was say something like, “I wonder how many of those arrests were for driving or shopping while black” immediately after “Now we know” and the context is clear.

So I don’t buy his story either.

15. Cara says:

Only black people go clubbing? News to me.

Yeah, news to me too, which is why I didn’t say so. He was already showing hostility towards club culture, and his association of clubs with guns is an easily recognizable well-known stereotype about black people and rap culture. I didn’t say it was true; I trusted that we would understand the cultural reference, as did Imus, I’m sure, when making it. Few people go on about how white people shoot up the club. Further, my actual point there was simply that the context didn’t change the interpretation of the comments as racist, as Roger insisted it would.

But more than anything, I’m amazed that anyone is willing to give Don Imus the benefit of the doubt with regards to race. He absolutely deserves for us to think the worst, and no one but him can be held responsible for such a reaction. Not to mention, as other people have mentioned, the story doesn’t add up and he gives no indication whatsoever that he was making a comment about how innocent black men are regularly arrested.

16. enlightened says:

Doesn’t Adam “Pac man” Jones play for the Tennessee Titans? Jason Sehorn is a safety and according to yardbarker.com not one of the top twenty cornerbacks in the NFL is white.

17. Pingback: links for 2008-06-26 at Racialicious - the intersection of race and pop culture

18. Pingback: Michael Savage On Autism And Disability « Feminocracy