1. Alabama Tribune
    Alabama Tribune July 6, 2008 at 6:27 pm |

The rEvolution was more than just a tax revolt. The Colonies had paid taxes for well over a centruy without any protest. The problem was that the taxes were levied by the English Paliment without the approval of the Colonial Legislatures (Hence “no taxation without representation”). Also, since when did the Northern Colonial Tradesman who kicked off the revolution qualify as “aristocrats”?

2. sonia
    sonia July 6, 2008 at 9:45 pm |

oh no. This is way too empty-glass, yo’.

3. Thomas
    Thomas July 6, 2008 at 9:56 pm |

I went skydiving.

Someone asked me what the appeal of such a sport was and I replied that none of your problems on the ground matter up in the sky.

Maybe that’s why I still feel optimistic.

4. Ariane
    Ariane July 7, 2008 at 1:35 am |

My son shares his birthday with the US, and in Sydney this year, also the last day of the school term. I spent it with very excited children having a special, last day of school, hot lunch (school is too small for a canteen) and more very excited children at a 3rd birthday party. It was full of optimism and happiness with absolutely no regard for the reality of the state of the world.

5. Kelsey Jarboe
    Kelsey Jarboe July 7, 2008 at 11:24 am |

Back in MY day Americans never feared anything! Nope, there was no red scare, or depression, or Civil War, or… Oh wait.

6. Emily
    Emily July 7, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

I hung out a flag. My husband taught our son the Pledge of Allegiance (without the 50s era revisions). We watched fireworks (on TV since it was raining).
    Not because of where the US is now, but because of where it should be.

Part of why I went to law school was because fundamentally I think that the Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights, is one of the most basically sound and inspirational documents in the world. It is a fabulous framework for a nation.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense,promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It wasn’t a bad idea. The execution sure could have used some work.

7. Marked Hoosier
    Marked Hoosier July 7, 2008 at 6:11 pm |

I love us. We strive to change for the better… it may be slow, but it happens. :D

8. Catherine
    Catherine July 7, 2008 at 11:59 pm |

You! Are so sweet!

(America, on the other hand, ain’t doing so well.)

9. UnFit
    UnFit July 8, 2008 at 7:04 am |

For the non-Americans in the house, was this just another Friday, Saturday and Sunday for you?

Absolutely, though I did get lots of away messages from all my American online buddies.

On Friday, there was a huge party here, but that was simply due to the fact that it was the first friday of an odd numbered month. Still, I had a blast.

10. stonebiscuit
    stonebiscuit July 9, 2008 at 1:00 pm |

I worked.

11. Meghan
    Meghan July 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |

I love that quote and that movie. I’m just saying. :P

Also, we stay-catiion-ed too. My dad rented a room facing the fireworks display. There were fireworks all over the horizon… I was worried all the while about fires starting. *surrounded by smoke in California’s central valley*