Guilty Pleasures: Shitty Music and Project Runway

Jill has tagged me with the Guilty Pleasures “what lame shitty crap music is on your iPod” meme. As a rule I don’t roll that way, but since I am having such a good time here at Feministe and Jill is so cool, I’m gonna play along.

Here is the lame shitty shameful shit on my iPod Shuffle that gets my ass wriggling lately:

(1) Rick James–Superfreak

(2) Beasties–No Sleep Til Brooklyn

(3) Dead or Alive–You Spin Me Round

(4) Buzzcocks–Orgasm Addict

(5) Sir Mixalot–Baby Got Back

I have no substantive editorial commentary on any of these truly outstanding songs.

Hey, speaking of guilty pleasures, I am hosting a weekly Project Runway gabfest at my place. 2nd episode thread is up now.

I tag DrugMonkey, Dr. FreeRide, Zuska, DrDrA, and BioE. EDIT: And Professor Chaos!

1. Anna
    Anna July 24, 2008 at 12:26 pm |

Hey PhysioProf,

Could you please not use ablist language in your post? My husband is lame. That music is bad.

2. amyc
    amyc July 24, 2008 at 1:09 pm |

Good heavens, lady — those are not shitty songs! There’s no shame in listening to the Beasties or the Buzzcocks.

Whitesnake or Celine Dion, on the other hand….

3. Anna
    Anna July 24, 2008 at 1:23 pm |

Thanks, PP, but you missed the first one (which is funny, cuz I didn’t notice the second one till I saw the strikeout). ;)

And hey! Celine Dion is a CULTURAL ICON! I know, because Arrogant Worms told me so. ;)

4. Peggy
    Peggy July 24, 2008 at 1:23 pm |

Wait a minute, Buzzcocks aren’t crap – although “Ever Fallen in Love” is better at getting my ass wriggling than “Orgasm Addict.” “Spin Me Round”, on the other hand, has that evil combination catchiness and suckiness that makes it hard to get out of my head (curse you PhysioProf).

5. Thomas
    Thomas July 24, 2008 at 1:48 pm |

Three of your five are not bad songs. Early Beasties was groundbreaking music, sampling heavily from the classic rock canon and pulling punk and hard rock influences into hip hop, juvenile lyrics notwithstanding (and even NSTB echoes Motorhead’s No Sleep Til Hammersmith, just five years before).

Rick James, huge personal problems aside, was a great musician, and Superfreak deserves a spot on the iPod just for the climax of Little Miss Sunshine.

Buzzcocks — well, come on, who would mock the Buzzcocks?

6. Zuska
    Zuska July 24, 2008 at 2:03 pm |

Ummm….I don’t have an iPod. Possibly I am the only person in the U.S. without one, besides my mother.

Usually I listen to whatever live music Mr. Z has recorded that he’s currently playing or cutting tracks for or otherwise messing around with.

7. Not the memes …AGAIN.. « Blue Lab Coats

[…] How is it possible that I got tagged twice in one day? By bikemonkey for a books meme, and to PP for a music meme … or a Guilty Pleasures ‘what lame shitty crap music is on your iPod….. […]

8. RyanRutley
    RyanRutley July 24, 2008 at 3:35 pm |

I’m going to have to disagree (mildly) with the commenters so far.

I would contend that NOT ONE of the songs on your list is remotely shitty. In fact, I would further contend that EVERY ONE of the songs on your list is TOTALLY AWESOME.

Although I think You Spin Me is the weakest of Dead or Alive’s singles.

9. Rockit
    Rockit July 24, 2008 at 6:44 pm |

Yeah sure. You saying there’s no ELO, Def Leppard or ska punk in there anywhere? Nothing critically derided at all? No such MP3 player exists, my friend.

10. limes
    limes July 24, 2008 at 7:34 pm |

Excuse me, but I have already won this competition. I have the ultimate in mindkiller songs on iPod. I should warn you that this information is not suitable for women who are pregnant, may become pregnant, or were ever pregnant ever.

I have Country Roads on my iPod.

You can commence weeping now.

11. Your ipod’s lame music meme « JUNIORPROF

[…] Filed under: Uncategorized | DrdrA tagged me so I’ll play along. For consideration are the lamest songs on your ipod. I am a real music junkie and I have too much stuff to do songs so I will do a slight variation on […]

12. Lauren
    Lauren July 24, 2008 at 9:04 pm |

I’m sorry but Rick James and Buzzcocks are right up there in my favorites list. My eight-year-old has his own Buzzcocks CD. I stole it.

13. Dr. Free-Ride
    Dr. Free-Ride July 24, 2008 at 10:46 pm |

Problem is I am so totally fucking cool, that I don’t have any embarrassing music on my iPod.

Whereas my problem is that I have no shame.

14. Jim
    Jim July 24, 2008 at 11:50 pm |

If you haven’t heard Jonathan Coulton’s cover of Baby Got Back, go listen right now.

15. Feministe » Friday Random Ten - The Delicious Meme-alicious Edition

[…] others — even though Jill’s list embarrasses me. Ashley Simpson? Damn, girl. Meanwhile Physioprof’s looks like a regular mixed CD at my […]

16. Anfa
    Anfa July 29, 2008 at 1:44 pm |

I have very little shame. No one ever tags me -probably because no one reads me except my niece and my schoolmates in the West Coast (one of whom is ringing the cell phone as we speak). Does that stop me from meme-ing? Hell no! I meme because I’m lame.
    And I am the other person in the world without an ipod. I’ve wanted one forever, but somehow lawnmower and muffler win out every time over leisure utensil.
    I know how lame everyone else considers the stuff I listen to, but I like it and I’m listening to it and everyone else can go to hell.
    BTW- check out Alanis Morrisette’s version of “My Hump” on her website. Like Ringo says- “Classic!”