Palin has been the VP pick for all of five minutes, and already one of the (male) reporters on CNN just asked another reporter something along the lines of, “Now, Palin also has a baby with Down’s Syndrome. Those children require an awful lot of care. Do you think she’ll be able to balance taking care of that baby with being Vice President? I mean, having a Down’s Syndrome baby takes up a lot of time and energy.”
The (female) reporter answered by saying that the McCain campaign would probably point out that a similar question wouldn’t be asked of a man. She then mentioned that although Palin “unfortunately” has a baby with Down’s Syndrome, having that baby was a choice she made knowingly as a person with strong anti-abortion views, and that may endear her to conservative voters.
Sexism, followed by ableism. This is a nice reminder as to why I hate TV news.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Palin is “Hardcore Pro-Life” by Jill October 22, 2008
- Are we seriously still asking this question? by Jill December 29, 2010
- Stalking 101, courtesy of the New York Press by Jill December 8, 2007
- The Answer to Your Question is “No.” by Jill October 6, 2009
- I went to a Chris Dodd rally and all I got were these lousy blue-balls by Jill November 14, 2007