One of the many issues I have with feminism is how my racial identification is treated as a problem, separate from the “real issues” that feminism seeks to deal with – despite the fact that the world perceives me as a “black woman” rather than a “woman.” (The “white” that goes before “woman” is silent.) My race is supposed to go unmentioned and unnoticed – until, there is some kind of “black culture” thing to tsk-tsk and blame on the inherent sexism in the black community.
So, it was with great trepidation that I clicked on a header post from Feministing. Titled “Dating Advice from Assholes: ‘Stop Treating Women Well,‘” Ann summarizes a Washington Post article about yet another crappy book about how to catch a man.
Titled “The Re-Education of the Female” (charming, right?) some bama basically regurgitates the same bullshit being spouted at women since time eternal – cook, clean, fuck, and STFU. The cover lets me know that my initial eye-roll was the right reaction.
Now, Ann’s post was cool, and I was about to click off to some other part of the internet, but for some reason, I decided to read the comments.
The first ten or so were cool, expressing general disgust at the ignorant sentiments. And then, we get to this one:
Yeah You – N.E.R.D (from the Seeing Sounds album)
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Don’t Forget the Angry White Men by Jill March 6, 2008
- Six Women Murdered, Three Still Missing, and Nobody Seems to Notice by Cara August 26, 2009
- Your Daily Dose of Hate by Cara November 16, 2007
- GOP Activist Compares Michelle Obama to a Gorilla by Cara June 15, 2009
- Sexual Trafficking of Native American Women is Widespread by Cara December 22, 2009