Lately, there have been a lot of stories about racist and/or threatening remarks directed at Sen. Obama from conservatives and McCain supporters. I personally think McCain and Palin are partially responsible for breeding a hateful and negative environment, but the excuse so far has been that the comments like “Kill him!” have come from lone wackos at rallies, and the racist and threatening images (like Obama next to a noose or Obama as a monkey) have come from lone wackos on blogs.
The image Andrew Sullivan posts is from the offical Republican party website for Sacramento County. For those who don’t feel like clicking over, it’s a picture of Obama next to a picture of Osama bin Laden with the words, “The only difference between Obama and Osama is BS. Waterboard Barack Obama.”
It kinda makes me agree with Christopher Hitchens, of all people:
It therefore seems to me that the Republican Party has invited not just defeat but discredit this year, and that both its nominees for the highest offices in the land should be decisively repudiated, along with any senators, congressmen, and governors who endorse them.
One only wishes that the election could be over now and a proper and dignified verdict rendered, so as to spare democracy and civility the degradation to which they look like being subjected in the remaining days of a low, dishonest campaign.
- ..and even more anti-Obama racism by Jill October 17, 2008
- More Racist Republican Fear-Mongering by Jill October 16, 2008
- Voter suppression has already begun by Jack October 21, 2008
- I cannot believe I’m writing this headline, but no, Obama is not the Antichrist. Better luck next election. by Jill September 22, 2008
- Guilt by Association by Jill October 9, 2008