Old Fat Naked Women for Peace

Love (the video, at least — I haven’t been able to listen to the sound). via Lucinda.

The other day I was at my fourth-favorite Mac n’ Cheese joint* and I was sitting next to an older woman, dressed head-to-toe in purple, wearing Women for Obama pins and other progressive and pro-choice gear. I hope I’m like that when I’m older. And in a culture that routinely silences, ignores and pushes aside older women, I’m always glad to see uppity broads making their voices heard.

________________________
*Something you may not know about me: I am an international connoisseur of fine mac n cheese.

About Jill

This entry was posted in Elections, Feminism, Fun, Gender, Politics and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Old Fat Naked Women for Peace

1. Cara says:

There are mac n’ cheese joints in NYC? God, I need to move there immediately.

2. Jill says:

Well, I think there are only a few places that serve only mac n cheese. My other faves are legitimate restaurants (and one cocktail bar and one wine bar) that serve mac n cheese along with other food. But yes, you should move here immediately :-)

3. anna says:

It’s great to hear of their success, but sadly their tactic only works because (and is based on the idea that) nobody wants to see old or fat women naked. Which is not true and not a really pro-woman message to send IMHO.

4. Jill says:

That’s a good point, Anna. I took it more that they were playing off of the ridiculous cultural idea that fat old women are unattractive — not accepting it as truth.

5. victoria says:

I’m with Anna.

6. Shinobi42 says:

Based on the song, I agree with Anna. “not even Dick Cheney wants to see his granny’s titties in the breeze.” Mmmm body positivity at its finest.

Also, Jill if you’re ever in Chicago I highly recommend the Mac and Cheese at Cullen’s on Southport and HopHouse on Clark.

7. Jill says:

…and this is what happens when you watch a video based on someone’s recommendation, don’t listen to the sound, and then post it anyway. My fault for being an idiot.

8. Scarlett says:

It would also have been more impressive if they’d managed to spell the largest city in Australia correctly in the big final image. (It’s ‘Sydney’, not ‘Sidney’, FTR).

9. CartoonCoyote says:

I’m definitely checking out S’MAC next time I’m in NYC; the Buffalo Chicken Mac is calling my name as we speak.

They used to have a dish at TGIFriday’s called “Grown-Up Mac ‘n’ Cheese”: bacon, mushrooms and three kinds of cheese topped off with two chicken breasts. And wouldn’t you know it? The fuckers took it off the menu!

10. Bagelsan says:

“not even Dick Cheney wants to see his granny’s titties in the breeze.”

I gave that the no-one-wants-to-see-family-members-naked benefit of the doubt. But that was maybe a bit generous…

11. Kelsey Jarboe says:

This is amazing.

12. Kelsey Jarboe says:

And I don’t think it’s anti-woman, I think they are managing to mock the standard of beauty while demanding action for their cause. To me, it seems like two birds with one stone.

13. sashe mishurr says:

Naked ladies are wonderful.

A positive comment not anti woman in any way. Kelsey Jarboe is exactly
    right.

14. Ancientdiva says:

What a wonderful example of Folk Music! Trust me, I am an old, not quite naked woman for peace! So certainly no offense taken here at all.

15. desensitizer says:

Don’t you all have a sense of humor???

16. cassandra says:

i am gettin older(by the minute) and i have earned every extra pound and wrinkle and if i want to dance naked in the moonlight and chant for peace NOTHINGis going to stop me, hairy legs and all, i lo

ve my old scarred body for what it is–gets me around, and its a lot easier now that mere superficial beauty is no longer a given. Thumbs up for old naked women, fat or skinny, for peace!