ONE in every three boys believes it is acceptable to hit girls and many children are routinely exposed to domestic violence, according to a disturbing survey.
The unprecedented survey of violence and attitudes shows one third of boys believe “it’s not a big deal to hit a girl”. One in seven thought “it’s OK to make a girl have sex with you if she was flirting”.
The survey also shows one in four teenagers lives with violence at home, prompting calls for domestic violence education programs in schools.
The study, which reviewed data from the past seven years, including a survey of 5000 12 to 20-year-olds, found up to 350,000 girls aged between 12 and 20 – one in seven – had experienced sexual assault or rape.
Almost one third of girls in Year 10 had experienced unwanted sex.
I’m not Australian, but I assume Year 10 is roughly equivalent to 10th grade in the American system — when girls are 14-15 years old.
via The Glass Wall.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- If you don’t want to throw something (and then cry), stop reading now. by Jill December 9, 2007
- Widespread Sexual Abuse Against Children Commited by Peacekeeping Forces by Cara May 27, 2008
- Saudi Cleric Defends Marriage of Preteen Girls by Cara January 17, 2009
- United Nations Declares Sexual Violence to be Tactic of War by Cara June 21, 2008
- Catholic Church Excommunicates Mother and Doctors Over 9-Year-Old Rape Victim’s Abortion by Cara March 6, 2009