Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. FashionablyEvil
    FashionablyEvil November 20, 2008 at 9:56 am |

Wow–I’m glad the Democrats refused to sign and that one called it “delusional.”

there are 80,000 fewer Missourians because of abortion, many of whom now would have been in a “highly productive age group for workers.”

Or, alternatively, there could be an additional 80,000 Missourians in jail or on welfare.

/snark*

*Intended as a Freakonomics reference–I apologize if I’ve missed something potentially offensive with my comment.

2. Jill
    Jill November 20, 2008 at 10:10 am |

Hmm. I guess they would all be shopping and consuming and keeping our economy strong, too. We’d never be in this economic crisis.

“Delusional” (as quoted from the article) might even be an understatement.

3. Ali
    Ali November 20, 2008 at 10:22 am |

Gah!
    It’s hearing “explanations” like this that makes me wish my gyno appointment to get permanent bc was last week and not a couple months away. I don’t want this stupidity to get in the way of my decision to not have children. Ever.

4. bastard.logic
    bastard.logic November 20, 2008 at 10:57 am |

Missouri State Senate Panel Report Blames Abortion For Influx of Undocumented Workers…

by matttbastard
    Via http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2008/11/20/abortion-causes-illegal-immigration/ and Sylvia/M (by email), McCain’s consolation prize has further affirmed its right-wing bona fides:
    A Republican-led legislative panel [in M…

5. Sailorman
    Sailorman November 20, 2008 at 11:01 am |

Well, the solution is simple. How do we go about creating indentured servitude for feti? Seems like that would really solve the problem. Then maybe they could be productive, instead of just leeching off their mothers all the time. I’m thinking “steel workers” or maybe “assembly line supervisors.”

Wouldn’t that work?

6. marilove
    marilove November 20, 2008 at 11:06 am |

FashionablyEvil, or an additional 80,000 getting laid off and foreclosing on their homes.

7. BadKitty
    BadKitty November 20, 2008 at 11:32 am |

Oooh, one of my favorite wingnut lines! We have a local nutjob who regularly writes letters to the editor on this very topic. It doesn’t make any sense when she talks about it either.

8. ThickRedGlasses
    ThickRedGlasses November 20, 2008 at 11:54 am |

It takes a special kind of stupid to make that leap.

9. Bitter Scribe
    Bitter Scribe November 20, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

There is no shortage of workers. There is a shortage of workers who are willing to work for the shit wages paid by industries like meat processing, which are thereupon “forced” to hire illegals.

To be completely fair, using meat as an example again, those people are in a brutally competitive environment where they have to shave every penny from their production costs. A meat company that unilaterally raised wages to a point where people who are not completely desperate would find them attractive, would be committing suicide.

That’s why collective action is needed. It starts with a federal government where the Department of Labor would actually take up the interests of, you know, labor.

10. Sean
    Sean November 20, 2008 at 1:34 pm |

So ridiculous that I don’t understand why it is being discussed more than 2 years after the fact.

11. ahunt
    ahunt November 20, 2008 at 2:07 pm |

Here’s where the logic fails. There is no evidence to suggest that women who choose abortion do NOT go on to bear the precise number of children they had planned on having.

The assumption that there would be 44 million more people absent Roe v Wade is specious without data indicating women do NOT go on to have more children under better circumstances. In fact, one could just as legitimately suggest that there would be fewer people walking around, as bearing children in bad conditions could preclude ever improving the circumstances for family formation, and subsequent additional children.

12. ElleBeMe
    ElleBeMe November 20, 2008 at 3:35 pm |

You know – despite teh age of teh article, the topic/argument is still quite current amongst anti-choicers.

Butu I wonder if they realize how utterly selfish and myopic the position is… Illegal workers work the lowest paid, and some of the most dangerous as well…. positions in society – meat processing, factory farming, construction, etc…

What woman in her right mind wants to bring children into the world to be fodder for industry? And yet again, it’s that blatant disregard for the QUALITY of life they have.

Not enough white babies being produced to serve their McMeals and construct their McMansions.

– Choose LIFE…Breed the next generation of poverty and slaves to minimum wage. Oh my….

13. Amber P.
    Amber P. November 20, 2008 at 3:49 pm |

Bitter Scribe, as long as you’re bringing up the unfortunate conditions meat people find themselves in, let’s take a moment to remember that they are, in fact, subsidized by the U.S. government. In turn, to cut down on production costs, the gov. doesn’t enforce environmental/consumer health protection policies on their own businesses, leaving a scar of pollution all across the red states. What I’m getting at here, is that the government will kill those 80,000 with or without the aid of abortion anyway.

On a side note, if the meat people have issues with their wages, perhaps they should appeal to their employers for a raise just like the airlines and auto industry? And while we’re on the topic of government “bailouts,” I totally needed these cute jeans that I couldn’t afford and now I can’t pay rent, I wonder if they could cut me a check for the difference?

This is the stupidity that we live in.

14. Bitter Scribe
    Bitter Scribe November 20, 2008 at 4:33 pm |

…if the meat people have issues with their wages, perhaps they should appeal to their employers for a raise just like the airlines and auto industry?

Sure, except airline and auto workers are largely unionized, which makes it a lot easier to ask for a raise. That was basically what I meant by my earlier crack about the Labor Dept.: maybe now we’ll have one that won’t actively obstruct efforts to unionize.

I’m not sure what you mean about meat being “subsidized,” except maybe in the sense that the farmers that grow animal feed get farm subsidies. I hear you loud and clear, though, about meat producers getting big breaks on regulations. It’s been pretty disgraceful.

15. sleepyhead
    sleepyhead November 20, 2008 at 8:11 pm |

Yeah–And, quite honestly, I beleive the only way we won’t have illegal immigration, besides allowing unlimited immigration, is to not share a large border/be very near countries in deep poverty with periodic violence, or, at least, to be no better than they are. So while I doubt those extra native-borns (that may or may not exist, as ahunt said) could improve the economies of latin and south America, and the other countries where people immigrate to the US illegally, I wonder if he means those extra would have destroyed America… and the immigrants would have stopped coming.
    Seriously. Flawed in so many level

16. Ann
    Ann November 21, 2008 at 12:04 am |

Despite the fact that this article is from 2006, this totally idiotic right-wing meme has popped up a few times since then — spouted by both Tom DeLay and Mike Huckabee. So the Missouri angle might be old news, but this view keeps cropping up. Assholes.

17. Lisa
    Lisa November 21, 2008 at 11:35 am |

What’s ridiculous to me about this is that I don’t understand what the problem is, even if it were true. If you assume that because of abortion, the country has fewer people than it needs to man the available jobs (leaving aside that that’s a pretty ridiculous assumption; 47 million more people in the US would consume 47 million people’s worth of goods and services, which would create even more jobs that we then would presumably have too few people to fill, even if unemployment were super-low, which it’s not) – why isn’t encouraging immigration the obvious solution? I mean, leaving aside the fact that that might mean letting scary brown people into the country, obviously.

And hey – immigrants frequently even come pre-raised and educated, which means you don’t even have to wait 18 years before they’re ready to fill those jobs. It’s a win-win situation.

18. LadyTess
    LadyTess November 22, 2008 at 12:38 pm |

Talking about Missouri… We elected a Dem Governor and McCain won by only 4000 votes. So we ain’t all crazy. Mind you I don’t live there I’m just registered in Missouri. It’s gettin better, I swear!