Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Bekka
    Bekka November 21, 2008 at 6:53 pm |

I mean, posthumous and outdated, but Tupac has to win it with “Keep your head up,” “Brenda’s got a baby,” and random acts of feminism inserted randomly in most songs.

2. Bekka
    Bekka November 21, 2008 at 7:05 pm |

Not to say that his feminism was consistent or that there aren’t other problematic paradigms for feminism worked in – but in terms of truly unexpected, explicitly feminist messages, I think Tupac’s a pretty cool example.

3. james
    james November 21, 2008 at 7:22 pm |

I agree, there are lots of other feminists among the rap artist community as well. I personally think Sir Mix-a-lot deserves an award for Baby got Back, particularly the third verse where he totally starts ragging on Cosmo. Unfortunately you do have to the him calling women hoes to get to it, but I suppose you can’t have everything.

4. evil_fizz
    evil_fizz November 21, 2008 at 8:03 pm |

Who would you honor for promoting a feminist message in an unexpected place?

Matt Damon! I can understand Liss’s crush on him for saying things like “[James Bond is] an imperialist and he’s a misogynist. He kills people and laughs and sips martinis and wisecracks about it. … [Jason Bourne is] the opposite of James Bond.”

Also, I will have to dig up something specific about Daniel Craig talking about Bond and trying not to make the character so much of a twit.

5. Cara
    Cara November 21, 2008 at 8:08 pm |

*swoons for Matt Damon*

I always think the same things about James Bond every time a new movie comes out . . . like recently.

6. Feather
    Feather November 21, 2008 at 9:14 pm |

Wow. I thought Channel Nine was crap just because of its programs.

7. Polyquats
    Polyquats November 22, 2008 at 3:48 am |

You’d have a hard time picking the most sexist comment for a Gold Ernie in the US this year – the election campaign provided a veritable gold mine of sexist crap. Just about the whole main stream media is due fro a good dishonouring for outrageous sexism.

8. Unstable Isotope
    Unstable Isotope November 22, 2008 at 9:14 am |

For outrageous sexism I would nominate Pat Oliphant for this cartoon. I would also nominate who was behind the “Citizens United Not Timid” people. There was plenty to complain about during this election, I think.

For positive feminist messages I would nominate Joss Whedon.

9. j.ds
    j.ds November 22, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

“Who would you (dis)honor with an award for outrageous sexism?”

Roadrunner, for the crap about Amanda Palmer’s belly. They don’t treat their male artists like that.

10. zooeyibz
    zooeyibz November 22, 2008 at 5:23 pm |

WTF. Men deserve awards for not wanting their daughters to get raped or beaten up? Geez. If only they knew how low women’s expectations were, they need never fear fatherhood…

Seriously. That is pathetic and insulting. To women. To men. To children. Are women so conditioned to accept being treated like dirt that we’re fawingly pleased any time a man doesn’t want to rape and beat us?

11. high-tea tramp
    high-tea tramp November 22, 2008 at 7:14 pm |

zooeyibz, this article might put Cannon’s qoute in context; http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22696823-5005403,00.html

Something the article doesn’t mention is the huge problem Rugby League has with misogyny and violence against women. I think it’s important and really positive to have other footballers speaking out to change the culture from the inside. You’re right that these comments should be the norm rather than the exception, but I sort of saw the award as affirming the place of guys who work against misogyny, in the women’s movement (which I think they absolutely need to be welcomed into).

12. Karalora
    Karalora November 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm |

For a pro-feminist award, I nominate Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino, co-creators of the wonderful, very feminist-friendly children’s series Avatar: The Last Airbender. One of their stated goals in creating the show was to prove that a kids’ action series doesn’t have to be wholly male-dominated in order to be successful, and to that end they developed a main cast that has almost equal numbers of male and female characters, and gave them all–male and female–well-rounded, diverse personalities instead of hewing to hoary old stereotypes. A few episodes even tackle the issue of sexism directly, and the rest of them reinforce the anti-sexist message by having the female characters stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the male ones. It’s a thing of beauty.

13. Jovan1984
    Jovan1984 November 26, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

I have the Asshole of the Week, Asshole of the Month and, on December 25, the 106 Assholes of 2008 award as a way to dishonor those who are outrageously sexist.

For pro-feminist actions, I have the Person of the Week, Person of the Month and, on December 25, the 106 Best People of 2008.