Jay Smooth, Stone Fox

[WARNING: May trigger fangeeks.]

Friend of Feministe Jay Smooth was named one the Sexiest Men Living in 2008 in Salon’s 3rd annual awards this week, rounding out a list of men who “make us giddy for all the right reasons.” Chuck your Brad Pitts, your George Clooneys, and your Matt Damons, and give me a heaping helping of a confident, feminist dude who challenges his audience to think deeper about the world and the culture around us and does so with impeccable style and a subtle sense of humor.

Take this past vlog on homosexuality and the closet in hip hop:

Or one of my personal favorites on how to let people know they’re being racist, or the follow-up, which pretty much cemented my crush.

Definitely something about the eyebrows.

Congrats, Jay. We’ll be waiting for your response to these accolades by video in 3… 2… 1…

My personal runners-up in the Salon contest include Van Jones and Javier Bardem. Who makes your list?

14 comments for “Jay Smooth, Stone Fox

1. November 22, 2008 at 6:03 pm

So well-deserved. Jay is fantastic — an incredibly talented writer, speaker and performer, and a wonderful ally and activist. I’ve been lucky enough to meet him in person a few times, and he lives up to the hype.

2. November 22, 2008 at 7:28 pm

You know I have to second that nomination. I found out about Jay a few months ago and I have been hooked ever since. He is incredibly smart, charming and funny. I’d certainly offer him the cookie to leave behind a few crumbs if you get my drift.

3. November 22, 2008 at 8:24 pm

all i can really say is “rawr” when it comes to him. LOVE jay smooth. love, love, love him.

4. gergir
    November 22, 2008 at 9:36 pm

yes. I learned about jay smooth only during the US election time. I’m happily married but find what he says and the way he says it dead sexy. For all the right reasons, as you said. Heck, I think (and hope) my husband would feel the same. Keep them coming, jay smooth!

5. November 22, 2008 at 9:37 pm

<3 I get so happy every time he posts something new. It’s always great.

6. November 22, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Gergir, Chef (my partner) totally has a crush on both Jay Smooth and Javier Bardiem, so there you go. :)

7. November 23, 2008 at 12:53 am

He’s one of my heterocrushes. No lie. The man is amazing.

8. November 23, 2008 at 1:34 am

I’m so happy to also see Van Jones included on the list, it’s really great to see him getting noticed outside of the Bay Area (though the ‘hot man bringing cool drinks’ imagining was pretty lazy).

9. Misspelled
    November 23, 2008 at 3:02 pm

He’s one of those people where if I ever found myself disagreeing with him on anything I would probably withdraw from the world for twenty-four hours and go to my room and pull the curtains and sit in the dark trying to figure out where I went so horribly, horribly wrong.

10. November 23, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Renee, I’m not sure what that means, but I do like my cookies. :)

11. David22
    November 23, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Great stuff! Lauren, thank you for introducing me to Jay Smooth – I’ll know to look for his work now.

12. ROXIE
    November 23, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Yay~
    Jay is very deserving <3

13. November 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Jay Smooth gets my vote.

14. Ashley
    November 24, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I love him and his voice!

My favorite lines from the last video:

“a rhetorical Bermuda triangle where everything drowns in a sea of empty posturing until somebody just blames it all on hip-hop and we forget the whole thing every happened…”

“Treat them like they took your wallet and focus on the part that matters.”