People are all in a tizzy over the fact that Planned Parenthood of Indiana is offering gift certificates for health care services. Anti-choice bloggers are predictably claiming that Planned Parenthood is offering “gift certificates for abortion,” and that the gift certificates “would be more accurately described as death certificates.”
What they neglect to mention that while Planned Parenthood of Indiana provided 5,000 abortions last year, that was out of 92,000 total patients. The gift certificates are in $25 denominations, not for particular services — so they offer women (many of whom may be uninsured) access to things like pap smears and birth control. It’s not the most romantic Christmas gift ever, but neither are the socks that my mom gets me every year. And women do have a need for health care services. There’s nothing shameful about that.
Anti-choicers and conservatives would be better off focusing on the real issues. Like the annual War on Christmas.
- Virginia Pro-Lifers Work to Increase the Abortion Rate by Jill March 5, 2008
- House votes to block all funding from Planned Parenthood by Jill February 18, 2011
- Playing Politics With Cancer Screening by Jill March 26, 2007
- Standing with Planned Parenthood by Jill February 4, 2011
- Pro-Lifers love babies so much they want to defund Planned Parenthood so that you get pregnant by Jill December 11, 2008