1. Selected Reading « The Bleeding Heart Show

[...] at Feministe brings us one of the most unintentionally funny videos I’ve watched in [...]

2. Holly
    Holly December 27, 2008 at 5:30 pm |

When a boy brags about taking you out, if he finds out that you’ve been with all the boys, he’ll feel less important! If you want to be popular, be sure not to undercut male sexual boasting with your SLUTTING AROUND!!

3. rachel
    rachel December 27, 2008 at 5:46 pm |

What an unintentionally hilarious video! As I wrote in my response, what struck me most was not how “slutty” the girl who parked was, but what rude, disrespectful pricks the guys who hooked up with her were.

4. DireSloth
    DireSloth December 27, 2008 at 8:03 pm |

Wow, I tried watching this, but I honestly can’t get past the one minute mark without making sarcastic and obnoxious comments. Someone should do a MST3K-ing of this video. XD

5. little light
    little light December 27, 2008 at 8:17 pm |

Yeah, the “slutty” girl was…friendly, outgoing, seemed to know what they were interested in as hobbies…and they just wouldn’t talk to her.
    The “good”–and more manipulative–girl was the one who didn’t seem to have any hobbies or interests of her own, offered to help more people than she realistically could without checking what those commitments entailed, and stood around at the milk spigot thing watching the room passively until someone invited her to sit with them.
    As a bonus, they invited her over because they like how she dresses, she’s “equally interested in girls and boys,” and doesn’t have a scandalous reputation yet. Because all that’s about the content of her character.

Also: these are drama geeks? Seriously?

6. E.M. Russell
    E.M. Russell December 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm |

God no wonder so many people think of the 1950s as the golden years, what a load of propaganda! All everyone cared about was being popular, looking good and having wholesome fun!

7. Manju
    Manju December 27, 2008 at 8:55 pm |

I found that part oddly arousing.

8. noone
    noone December 28, 2008 at 10:01 am |

Things were different 60 years ago.

9. Celery and Self-Loathing
    Celery and Self-Loathing December 29, 2008 at 11:55 am |

[...] Jump to Comments I have a penchant for retro and vintage kitsch type videos, something that I think was triggered by learning my sex education from well-meaning 1970’s social/personal guidance books that I found stashed in my mother’s childhood bedroom. So it was with great amusement that I saw this 1947 social guidance film on Feministe. [...]

10. ACG
    ACG December 29, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

I found that part oddly arousing.

Yeah, I remember that made a friend of mine particularly popular in high school.

11. fredericd@gmail.com
    fredericd@gmail.com January 6, 2009 at 10:09 am |

Rigid gender role policing for all involved — what nice, wholesome fun.

Rigid gender role as you say. Is it not what feminism is all about?

“Nearly every large college campus and many smaller ones have a Women’s Studies department. There are over five hundred women’s studies departments and over one hundred colleges that offer a degree program in women’s studies. There is not a single degree program or department in men’s studies in the U.S. It is difficult to get exact numbers, but it appears that there are fewer than a dozen classes labeled men’s studies being offered in colleges anywhere. Some that are labeled men’s studies are in fact anti-male. Kenyon College, for example, has a Men’s Studies program that in the words of one professor is in opposition to, “The white, male, heterosexual, able-bodied, Christian, middle-class norm.”

12. tyndel
    tyndel February 26, 2009 at 6:33 am |

I see the video as nothing but youthful exuberance. You must know that most boys do not actually show their natural character when they are with girls. Even the cool headed boys try to show that they are “real” men by acting in line to look how they want the girls to see them.