A Very Special Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Cara has been carrying the Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday torch for me since I’ve been away in Seattle and subject to my mother’s dial-up AOL, but since it’s the last Sunday before the new year,* I figured we’d do something extra-specially self-promoting: In Cara’s thread, post something you’ve written this week that you’re particularly proud of or excited about; in this thread, self-promote the best piece you’ve written all year.

I know that’s a tough order, so I’ll start with a post I worked particularly hard on and ended up putting up about two weeks after it was relevant — this one about surrogacy, adoption, the ethics of reproduction and what “reproductive justice” actually entails.

So self-promote away, and feel free to include posts from other writers that you found particularly powerful. Sometime before the new year, I’ll try to compile a full post with all of your best links.

(And yes, I am back in NY and back to my shoddy Time Warner wireless, which means I will resume regular blogging as soon as I adjust to the time change).

_______________________
*It’s still Sunday somewhere, right?

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Isabel
    Isabel December 29, 2008 at 1:46 am |

On Language, and Body, and Fear – talking about the way we (not the media) talk about bodies, and the way that hurts, and the way it makes me angry, and the way I don’t say anything. not the most original subject, but i think some of the best writing (on my own personal metric) i’ve done in a long while anywhere.

(and i said it there but jill, that post of yours really was great.)

love this idea, can’t wait to come back and sift through everyone else’s links :)

2. Radfem
    Radfem December 29, 2008 at 3:08 am |

Looking back 10 years after the killing of Tyisha Miller

Miller was killed by four police officers when she was 19 and after her cousins called 911 for medical assistance while she was locked in her aunt’s car.

Unfortunately, the articles done in the daily press on the Miller anniversary attracted the usual disgusting, racist comments including some likely by some of “our finest”. A couple under one article definitely from one of “our finest” because this individual harassed me on my blog for two years, under assorted aliases so I recognize his writing style.

3. Radfem
    Radfem December 29, 2008 at 3:09 am |

Some of the comments are included at the end of this article.

4. EKSwitaj
    EKSwitaj December 29, 2008 at 4:04 am |

Naming Names: Wearing in which I discuss, in the context of contemporary poetry’s general tendency to stick to pronouns, my decision to use a (real) name in a poem about rape.

5. Jesurgislac
    Jesurgislac December 29, 2008 at 7:01 am |

What’s the value of a human life? discussing our human understanding of loss by comparing how the Obsidian Wings blogging community felt when Andy Olmsted, who was a front-page poster there as G’Kar, died in Iraq – that each of the more than a million killed in Iraq was as valued, as missed, as Andy was.

“For each life lost in Iraq, people are feeling that grinding grief. For each one of a million lives, there are family and friends who are still trying to endure the loss, the grinding grief, the mourning.”

6. Natalia
    Natalia December 29, 2008 at 7:31 am |

I don’t know if this is the best thing I’ve written all year, but it did wring a lot out of me: The Vajayjay, the Womb, the AIDS Test, the Eternal Battle.

Also, this column on MTV Ukraine & domestic violence did cause a bit of a stir when it was published (especially when the world discovered that I am not a vegetarian).

7. feministgal
    feministgal December 29, 2008 at 9:19 am |

ooooh, great self-promotion idea :)

Before my nephew was born i gave a lot of thought to gender socializing and then over the summer, i wrote about beauty privilege.

8. Jay
    Jay December 29, 2008 at 9:22 am |

A pair of posts about motherhood and sacrifice – first here and second one here. I’m proud of the writing and the thinking, and how much I learned from the response to the first post and then used in the second. This is the best

9. Jay
    Jay December 29, 2008 at 9:23 am |

(hit “submit” too soon”!)

This is the best part of blogging: the conversation.

10. Thomas
    Thomas December 29, 2008 at 9:53 am |

“This year” for the Yes Means Yes Blog means about a month. But in that short time, we’ve had some memorable stuff. My absolute favorite is Stacey May Fowles’ “Up For It” (personal account – mild trigger warning). Lee Jacobs Riggs does some heavy-duty thinking about the Michigan 2L here. Lee’s response to “Up For It”, titled “easy”, is also a good read.

I’ve also had a few things to say: “Goldthrowers”, a takedown of evo psych nonsense and how it uses leaps in logic and “just so stories” to justify patriarchal narratives when the “science”, to the extent there is any, justifies the opposite narrative; “If You Bring One He’ll Drink All Your Beer”, about binge drinking, sexuality, shame and repression; “When Was Your Real First Time?”, a question I asked after reading Hanne Blank’s “Process Oriented Virgin” in the book and which produced a fair amount of discussion; and“What To Tell The Next Generation”, which is an attempt at how to give kids a model so they can make their own decisions about sexuality and readiness when they are teens.

11. Cherish
    Cherish December 29, 2008 at 10:12 am |

I actually have pair of posts as well. The first one is on female dress in academic settings, and the other is about how people misinterpret statistics about intelligence to justify discriminatory behavior.

12. Thomas
    Thomas December 29, 2008 at 10:20 am |

Yes Means Yes Blog just started in late November, when the book hit the store shelves. However, in just over a month, my co-contributors have put up some stuff that is worth mentioning. My absolute favorite is Stacey May Fowles’s ”Up For It” (mild trigger warning) about how women who express their sexuality are involuntarily sexualized. Lee Jacobs-Riggs responded with her thoughts in a post titled ”easy”, which is definitely worth a read. Lee also wrote some heavy-duty thinking about Michigan 2l here.

I’ve written quite a bit over there: “Goldthrowers” , a takedown of science reporting and evo psych that amounts to just-so stories justifying familiar patriarchal narratives; “If You Bring One He’ll Drink All Your Beer,” about binge drinking, sexuality, shame and repression; “When Was Your Real First Time” , a question I asked in response to Hanne Blank’s essay in the book, “Process-Oriented Virgin”, and which produced some discussion; and “What To Tell The Next Generation” , which attempts a model for teens to figure out their own sexual readiness.

13. Renee
    Renee December 29, 2008 at 10:27 am |

Does FGM reduce women to sex toys and Whose children count: looking at the way white motherhood is uplifted over that of WOC.

14. DaisyDeadhead
    DaisyDeadhead December 29, 2008 at 10:40 am |

Radfem, I regret to say that I had forgotten all about Miller–your piece is awesome and thanks so much for your work.

15. Pop Feminist
    Pop Feminist December 29, 2008 at 10:40 am |

I don’t know if these are the “best” I’ve written, but they certainly have been popular this year:
    1) Kurt and Courtney: Redefining the Counterculture Icon
    2) Hi-C-Ya Hold Tight: In Defense of the Spice Girls
    3) The Unsung Feminism of Billy Idol

16. nikki
    nikki December 29, 2008 at 10:48 am |

i found the cure to pms this year. for real! but i think the most-read post on my blog this year was america’s next top model shame, where i linked america’s next top model to eating disorders/negative body image.

17. MomTFH
    MomTFH December 29, 2008 at 12:01 pm |

Wow, all order indeed.

I really like my Mommy Wars Bingo game card.

(I want to update one of the squares to specifically state parents with different sexual expression, not just include them under the umbrella of “not exactly like me”. But, someone converted this to pdf for me and I only have Acrobat Reader. If anyone can help, please contact me!)

I also liked my In the round and then for real post about balancing mothering and medical school.

I am sure I have posts I am proud of from earlier in the year, but I’ll stop at two.

18. MomTFH
    MomTFH December 29, 2008 at 12:01 pm |

Umm, make that “tall order”. Geez. Some of my keys are sticking, sorry!

19. frau sally benz
    frau sally benz December 29, 2008 at 12:26 pm |

I think my favorite piece this year is still the one about the rise in underground abortions, where I also touched on the anti-choice vs. pro-life terms. I still go with anti-choice.

20. Rachel S.
    Rachel S. December 29, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

Well I am particularly proud of this piece, Freidmanite in name and practice wonders what’s wrong with the country, partly because I have a special hatred for Thomas “The World is Flat” Freidman.
    I’m also very proud of this installation (I had to do something with the snow), Fiscal Responsibility 2008, and this piece, On the Silent Wings of Freedom

But my commentary on so-called “parental consent” laws may be my best blog piece this year. Don’t like abortion? Don’t have one.

21. Xauri'EL Zwaan
    Xauri'EL Zwaan December 29, 2008 at 1:04 pm |

Hello Femeniste! my blog is very new so I’m not sure I have a ‘best piece’ yet ;) I’m also not specifically a femenist blog though I am a femenist personally, so i hope it is OK to post here? I have tried to find my most relevant article at least – about the hypocrisy of the ‘pro family’ agenda. I will post in the other thread also.

22. Rae
    Rae December 29, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

Wow–it’s been a slow year for me. Still, I’m torn between two: Oh, Blow Me…Away, in which I talked about the systematic othering of female comics professionals; and Less Than Wonderful, which addresses the significance of Wonder Woman’s appearance on the cover of Playboy.

23. Radfem
    Radfem December 29, 2008 at 1:25 pm |

Thank you, Daisy Deadhead. We had a memorial and vigil yesterday and both went very well. I saw people I hadn’t seen in years and Miller’s grandmother, uncle, father and cousins attended. The aunt who raised her died several years ago. People seemed enthusiastic to address some of the challenges ahead.

24. Michelle
    Michelle December 29, 2008 at 2:07 pm |

When Feminists Go Awry – a piece responding to the trans-hostility of certain radical feminists and queer theorists who declare a transsexual identity invalid for ideological reasons.

25. Jamelle
    Jamelle December 29, 2008 at 2:47 pm |

I’m not sure which post is my best, but I can certainly say that the piece I’m most proud of is my first (of many) post on African-Americans and gay marriage. Some of my predictions were wrong, but it is a good piece nonetheless, and I think still relevant.

26. Sungold
    Sungold December 29, 2008 at 3:13 pm |

It’s fun to go back and browse – and hard to pick just one. So here are two that continue to make me think. I’m still mulling over my ambivalence about the term “sex positive.” My post on cancer and infidelity (in response to John Edwards’ affair) is less about politics than about compassion, embodied experience, and the complexities of relationships.

Thanks, Jill!

27. Carly Kickslaw
    Carly Kickslaw December 29, 2008 at 3:22 pm |

We’re No Longer A Southern State and Zevely House Cheesecake. Thanx for the opportunity to self-promote and thanx for Feministe.

28. SnowdropExplodes
    SnowdropExplodes December 29, 2008 at 6:22 pm |

One of my favourites, because it’s about standing up for myself, was I am NOT house-trained. I talk about challenging the idea that men who do the washing up or hoovering have been “domesticated” by their womenfolk, and how I feel quite angry when people talk about me that way.

29. Bene
    Bene December 29, 2008 at 8:14 pm |

Though it wasn’t my most popular post, And This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things in Fandom remains my favorite, wherein I call out geekblog io9 for some raging sexism.

30. rachel
    rachel December 29, 2008 at 8:14 pm |

Ooo, tough one. I think my favourite though is this essay I wrote for the Australian Literary Review: Untangling sexiness, sex and childhood.

31. Elaine Vigneault
    Elaine Vigneault December 29, 2008 at 9:27 pm |

The best from the last year:
    Guide To Analyzing PETA’s Nude Activism

The most recent post:
    Responses to “You care more about animals than you care about people.”

Both are sure to make me super popular. I kid :)

32. Lauren O
    Lauren O December 29, 2008 at 9:33 pm |

Probably my best post is “Why Proposition 8 passed”. (It doesn’t have to do with the black vote, I promise.)

And if I’m permitted to slip in my second favorite, it is probably, “I hate everyone, Part 3,” which is about the most offensive thing anyone’s ever said to me (trigger warning).

33. Aftercancer
    Aftercancer December 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |

I’m not sure if it is particularly good writing but the experience made me feel like part Nancy Drew and part girl reporter.

What a great idea for a post! The best one I read this year was actually written last year (but it should still count right?) http://ruralwomen.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/doctor-day

34. Rebecca
    Rebecca December 29, 2008 at 10:51 pm |

I started a blog with one of my friends this year, so I’ve only got a few months of posts, but my best is probably “Pro-America”.

35. Women Be Trippin
    Women Be Trippin December 30, 2008 at 2:37 am |

To understand the pain that many women have to endure on a regular basis, I (a proud and hairy man) got a bikini wax.

Women Be Trippin.

36. Vanessa
    Vanessa December 30, 2008 at 4:05 am |

I like this post where I went off about growing up in the 80s, and this one about a big time white privilege incident in one of my classes that replayed stuff that was happening in the blogosphere at the time.

37. Kai
    Kai December 30, 2008 at 9:14 am |

Oh let’s go with something fun: Satire of the Stupid.

38. Sungold’s Gold: Volume I « Kittywampus

[...] Jill’s generous call at Feministe for her readers to promote their “best-of-2008″ … got me browsing my archives, and once I started, I decided I might as well embrace the tradition. [...]