Like Samhita, I’ve never been a fan of New Year’s Resolutions. I’ll be even more honest than that, in fact — I generally think that they’re bullshit. But for some strange reason, maybe because despite good things happening throughout this year I’ve had a really bad past few months and need something to look forward to, I’m going to take a page out of her book anyway.
So, my feminist New Year’s Resolutions are as follows:
- I want to work towards writing more regularly for Feministe.
- Following up on my being “really” published for the first time this month (in Yes Means Yes), I’d really like to publish more writing that I actually care about.
- I want to make more money freelancing — both in the “things I actually care about” trade and the “bullshit copy/content writing” trade.
- I want to use that extra money to move. Trust me, my personal reasons for wanting to get out of this town have a strong feminist bent.
- I want to spend more time listening to the voices of others working in social justice movements.
What are your New Year’s Resolutions this year, feminist or otherwise? Or if you also hate the concept of “resolutions” . . . what to you want or hope for yourself in 2009?