It’s official. The gag rule is no more. (At least until our next anti-choice president, if legislative action isn’t also taken.)
International funding can now go to organizations that provide abortions with other funding, or simply offer counseling about abortion as an option from a different provider. Desperately poor women with high risk pregnancies won’t have to die because their doctor can’t tell them about termination options. Many will have more access to safe abortion care, and won’t die or face permanent injury due to risky do-it-yourself procedures. Women won’t have to get pregnant because their local birth control clinic had to choose between no funding or substandard, dishonest care, and subsequently closed down.
This is what change can mean. Thousands of women’s lives saved. And after the past 8 years of this deadly policy, it’s about time.
Thanks to Colleen for the link to the confirmation I’ve been waiting for all day!
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Obama Expected to Overturn Global Gag Rule by Cara November 11, 2008
- Dr. Tiller’s Clinic Will Remain Closed by Cara June 9, 2009
- Obama getting it wrong on birth control by Jill January 27, 2009
- UK Stands Up For Women’s Lives by Jill February 6, 2006
- House votes to block all funding from Planned Parenthood by Jill February 18, 2011