Ledbetter bill passed by the Senate

I swore I was going to do something for Blog for Choice yesterday – I was still at NARAL Pro-Choice America and participated in its launch, so I still feel a little personal pride in its success – but I’ve been so wiped this week. The baby’s cutting his last molar and is sleeping about as well as you’d expect.

Aaaanyway. In addition to the Roe anniversary, we got another bit of great news yesterday: the Senate voted to pass the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act by a vote of 61-36! President Obama (whee!) is expected to sign the bill sometime next week.

From last night’s NOW release:

The Ledbetter Act, which was blocked in the Republican-led Senate last year, will essentially reverse the 2007 Supreme Court decision that required workers to file charges on a pay discrimination claim within six months after receiving their first discriminatory paycheck. The Court’s decision in Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire and Rubber, which reversed the jury’s compensation award to Ledbetter, essentially gave employers the go-ahead to discriminate in pay, as long as they weren’t caught in the first six months after the onset of their illegal actions.

It’s nice to win. And again, I have to salute the tireless work of Lilly Ledbetter herself. Thanks to last year’s Supreme Court decision, Goodyear got away with years and years of pay discrimination against her, and this bill can’t remedy that. But she lobbied hard, testified before Congress, traveled the country, spoke to anyone who would listen, to ensure that what happened to her won’t happen to us.

16 comments for “Ledbetter bill passed by the Senate

1. micheyd
    January 23, 2009 at 10:14 am

Wow! This week has been so much win.

2. leah
    January 23, 2009 at 10:32 am

I just pumped my fist and said “YES” at my desk.

I’m sure the people in the next office were mystified.

3. Jessica
    January 23, 2009 at 10:38 am

I’m so happy. This is going to be the first piece of legislation Obama signs!

Lilly Ledbetter makes me proud to be an Alabamian (and that’s rare sometimes ;) )

4. January 23, 2009 at 10:48 am

HOORAY.

I am so ridiculously happy about this.

5. January 23, 2009 at 10:56 am

Awesome!!

6. January 23, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I just read on MSNBC that Obama reversed ‘the Mexico policy’ – hang on a sec…

Here.

updated 9:42 a.m. MT, Fri., Jan. 23, 2009

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama plans to sign an executive order ending the ban on federal funds for international groups that promote or perform abortions, officials told The Associated Press on Friday…… Also known as the “Mexico City policy,” it has been reinstated and then reversed by Republican and Democratic presidents ….. The Democratic official and senior U.S. official who disclosed the plans to The AP did so on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to pre-empt [sic] Obama’s announcement.

7. January 23, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Also – forgive the off-topic note.

As for Lilly Ledbetter – it’s about goddamned time!

8. January 23, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Well he’s supposedly planning to, Wordsmith. I’ve been waiting all day for him to actually do it. I have a post ready and waiting and everything! *taps foot impatiently*

9. January 23, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Oh-oh, Cara. I “published” mine. Sometimes I’m impulsive that way…. I’ll ‘print a retraction’ and post it in the archives. Isn’t that how it’s done? :D

10. January 23, 2009 at 4:23 pm

You’re not the only one who has published already! Let’s just say that while these “the president will do this” articles usually turn out to be accurate, I read yesterday that Obama was planning to overturn the gag rule then too, and that turned out to be woefully false. Let’s just say that I’m still bitter over that, and now nervous and anxious to see this thing actually signed, which by all indications it hasn’t been yet. There’s a reason why Planned Parenthood, NOW, Naral, etc. haven’t yet flooded my inbox with the good news . . .

11. Lucy
    January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm

wheeeee

12. January 24, 2009 at 2:06 am

Wow.

Only took ’em 4,000 years to DO THE RIGHT FUCKING THING. 89 years since they “gave” us the right to vote. Women didn’t just “enter the workforce” during WWII, they WERE the workforce throughout the Industrial Revolution, the FIRST Great Depression, the Civil War, the NDN Genocide/Wild, Wild West era, the colonization of North America (especially the penal colony known as New Orleans), going back to the beginning of “civilization.” We might not have been able to vote or sell real estate with the ancient Greeks, but at least we could OWN PROPERTY, which took us ’til the 1950s in THIS country, I believe. But through it all, we worked our asses off, for pennies on the damned dollar.

We just never got CREDIT FOR IT until the past thirty years or so, and Newt Gingrich and the other New World Order/Bushite assholes have done everything in their little toady powers to REVERSE everything that we’d earned up until Ronnie Ray-Gun and the anti-feminist bullshit about “biological clocks” and Annie Hall’s treasonous “Baby Boom” bullshit. We had a few blessed years in the mid-80s, when we had rights and we expected equal treatment, but the bibul-bangers made damned sure to subvert that and remind us that we needed to be SUBSERVIENT again, if we wanted to “catch ourselves a MAYUNN” and go to “heaven,” blah blah blah.

I’m so happy that we have a president who’s a Constitutional Law scholar. He’s really gonna cock it up for every last Bushite left in the federal gubmint, especially in DOJ. Gotta love that.

I wonder if I can go back and get retroactive pay parity for seven+ years of being treated like a walking bull’s-eye in New Orleans radio, ’cause those motherfuckers owe me wages & benefits roughly approximating the GDP of the entire state of Louisiana… Think Ms. Ledbetter would help me with that, or would I have to actually employ a lawyer?

13. January 24, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

14. malletgirl02
    January 25, 2009 at 12:33 am

I’m really gald it passes, but didn’t anyone notice that it was pretty much a party line vote. Only five Republicans voted for it. The margin that it passes was pretty good, but I would have like something like 80-16. However it is good that all the democrats that were there voted yea on Ledbetter. I don’t think I have ever seen that kind of party unity among democrats