1. j
    j January 23, 2009 at 10:20 am |

It will certainly be insulting (and unsurprising) if Michelle gets flak for speaking her mind… but it’s somehow refreshing to see the conflict spelled out so frankly in the media. It’s being recognized that First Lady is actually a rather difficult position for a real human being to inhabit — and that Michelle Obama is a real human being, who (gasp) might sometimes disagree with her husband.

Not that the media has enough self-awareness to notice the point they’ve just made and actually make an effort to be fair to her and Barack.

2. Laurie
    Laurie January 23, 2009 at 11:29 am |

I’m so happy about the Red Eye’s front column today (not front page story, but the first column) that tells people to get the hell off Michelle’s fashion choices and pay attention to her mind and her agenda, and treat her as a separate human.

3. Obamadinistration, Day 3 « The Radical Notion

[...] applauding his “respectfulness” gives me a kneejerk reaction of revulsion, but whatevs (via). Just get rid of it, okay? Yahoo says he will today, but I’m not holding my [...]

4. Rosanna
    Rosanna January 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm |

I’m so sick of sh*t where everything the First Lady (I hate this term also) says or does is a reflection upon her husband. It’s so backwards and people really need to leave these attitudes in the past. Why can’t her actions & opinions be just reflective upon her own persona?
    It’s nice to see such a strong woman in the white house & I look forward to Michelle not holding things back!

5. Magis
    Magis January 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm |

The cool thing about being First Lady is you don’t have to disagree with the President in public to get a point across. You can always say to yourself “wait ’til I get that @#!! alone!” :)

6. Hawise
    Hawise January 23, 2009 at 3:23 pm |

I am so over the Princess Di-efication of Michelle Obama already. This is only going to get worse before it gets better.

7. Feministe » Breaking: Obama Reverses the Global Gag Rule

[...] on “We Cannot Live Without Our Lives” Either: Jews, Privilege, and Anti-SubordinationHawise on Michelle Obama: Barack’s “Frenemy”Cara on Ledbetter bill passed by the SenateWordsmith on Ledbetter bill passed by the [...]

8. Breaking: Obama Reverses the Global Gag Rule : The Curvature

[...] he’s a day late.  And no, I haven’t quite forgiven him yet for his supposed reasoning on that.  But mainly, I’m just letting out one of the biggest [...]

9. Neil the Ethical Werewolf
    Neil the Ethical Werewolf January 24, 2009 at 7:49 am |

The whole list is kind of dumb. It’s full of people who could hypothetically cause him trouble, but are more likely to be useful to his agenda (Henry Waxman!)

10. sophonisba
    sophonisba January 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm |

No? What do you mean? Are you saying that it’s only Michelle’s own actions that reflect on her? What a novel concept. And one that many apparently think doesn’t apply in reverse.

Uh, you only know who she is and have opinions about her because of who she’s married to: it applies more, much more, in reverse. So much so that it’s not even that perceptions of political wives are influenced by their husbands’ actions, but that they are viewed as appendages of those husbands. Absolutely their husbands’ images reflect on them.

I could point to Laura Bush, who would not be held in remotely as much contempt as she is if she were not married to–and thus assumed to be a full supporter of–a horrible human being. And I’m sure you remember when the right wing went after Hillary Clinton for being a disgusting, tainted human being for having the effrontery to be married to a man who slept around.

I agree with you, though, that all this is contemptible.

11. Haoua Inoua
    Haoua Inoua January 25, 2009 at 7:12 am |

I’m not an american citizen, I’m a woman who believe on her like millions around the world. She’s a human Being and human makes mistake and she wont be different, no body is perfect. She stund next to Obama not behind.
    It means that she equal as person who well educate in anyway as any presidential canditate.She will rule as woman of color who believes on her values without stepping on others. Just keep to yourself any lowest thougth.