1. E.M. Russell
    E.M. Russell January 29, 2009 at 11:25 am |

I’m confused, what is that bill doing that this bill isn’t? Other than the six-month thing I mean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Pay_Act_of_1963

2. Kristin
    Kristin January 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm |

Awesome.

3. Kristen (The J one)
    Kristen (The J one) January 29, 2009 at 12:47 pm |

Oops…

amends the part that the court interpreted so narrowly wrongly to better ensure that it’s interpreted fairly correctly.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

4. 10G
    10G January 29, 2009 at 12:49 pm |

WOOHOOOOO! Best news I’ve heard all week!!! I’m thrilled!!!

5. CTD
    CTD January 29, 2009 at 1:11 pm |

Awesome. I predict this to have the same consequences for the employment of women as the Americans with Disabilities Act had for the disabled.

6. Diana
    Diana January 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm |

The New York Times has a nice accompanying photo.

7. Stephanie
    Stephanie January 29, 2009 at 2:31 pm |

This is long overdue, but I’m not sure it’s going to make much of a difference. As a society we need to start raising our daughters to ASK for what they want rather than politely waiting for someone to notice them.

8. Kristjan Wager
    Kristjan Wager January 29, 2009 at 3:21 pm |

Can anyone tell me who the first woman who got a pen was? The reaction from the audience (and herself) indicated that it was a bit of a surprise that she got it.

9. Rachel
    Rachel January 29, 2009 at 3:55 pm |

Cara – sorry to cross-post! I think we hit publish at the exact same moment.

10. Daughter of the Ring of Fire » Blog Archive » Blog for Fair Pay Day

[…] 59 cents for every dollar made by men; today it’s 78 cents. The Lilly Ledbetter Act, which Obama signed in January, made it easier for women to be able to sue for past discrimination by giving them more […]