Obama pressured Dems to cut a provision of the stimulus package that would have made it easier for states to use Medicaid to cover birth control for low-income women. The reasoning? It would foster bipartisanship and get Republicans on board with the stimulus as a whole.
The problem with bipartisanship as a goal is that both sides have to want it. I don’t have a problem with making politican compromises or with genuine bipartisan cooperation, but you’d better make sure that the people you’re “compromising” with are going to give something in return before you start scaling back your own plan.
Plus what Katha says. Birth control belongs in the stimulus package.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Good news about women and the stimulus package by Jill January 29, 2009
- GOP’s Ideology over Sound Economics by Jill January 25, 2008
- Obama getting it wrong on birth control by Jill January 27, 2009
- Newsflash, jackasses: Planned Parenthood is a health care provider by Jill December 2, 2008
- Bailout FAIL. Working Americans PWNED. by Jack September 28, 2008