1. Sarah
    Sarah January 30, 2009 at 6:35 pm |

I adore Andrea Gibson. I strongly recommend purchasing or downloading her CD’s (legally). She wrote one of my favorite pieces called “Blue Blanket” that takes a fantastic look at the rape culture we live in.
    Plus, she has some great light hearted poems to.

2. Jennifer
    Jennifer January 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm |

This is one of my favorites, though Blue Blanket holds a special place in my heart too. For anyone within reasonable traveling distance of southwest Virginia, she’s going to be performing at Hollins University on February 22nd.

3. corwin
    corwin January 30, 2009 at 7:45 pm |

Willows whiten.aspens quiver,
    Little breezes dusk and shiver
    Through the wave that runs forever
    By the island in the river
    Flowing down to Camelot.
    Four grey walls and four grey towers
    Overlook a space of flowers
    and the silent isle embowers,
    The Lady of Shallot

One of my favorites

4. Meghan
    Meghan January 30, 2009 at 9:07 pm |

Yay! I have two of her CD’s and they are just marvelous.

5. FilthyGrandeur
    FilthyGrandeur January 30, 2009 at 9:15 pm |

wow. not only is it a beautiful and powerful poem, but the language is just amazing…i’m in love with the message of the poem just as much as the sounds of the words she’s chosen…

6. Corwin
    Corwin January 30, 2009 at 11:16 pm |

By the margin,willow veiled,
    Slide the heavy bages trailed
    by slow horses and unhail’d
    The shallop flitters silken-sailed
    Skimming down to Camelot
    But who hath seen her wave her hand?
    or at the casement seen her stand?
    Or is she known in all the land?
    The Lady of Shallot

7. Emily
    Emily January 31, 2009 at 12:10 am |

I’m lucky enough to live in the same town as Andrea Gibson, and have seen her perform several times. She is incredible,

8. RyanRutley
    RyanRutley January 31, 2009 at 4:43 am |

Goddamn. That’s just fucking right.

9. genderkid
    genderkid January 31, 2009 at 9:03 am |

Cool, Emily! I wish I can see her one day. Her poem Andrew is another of my favorites.

10. rex
    rex February 1, 2009 at 9:51 pm |

Andrew Gibson came to my school and actually performed this poem. I do agree that most of it is quite striking, but the phrase “his appetite raped away” strikes me as inappropriately strong. I will not go so far as to say that such violent language may never be used as metaphor, but it does require careful choice and intention. Its placement here turns me off the rest of the work entirely.

11. Cobalt
    Cobalt February 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |

Thank you for posting this. It made me smile. I hope she’s right that someday adults will be so unconcerned.

12. For the love of links « blue milk
    For the love of links « blue milk February 8, 2009 at 5:21 am |

[...] Poetry: What do little kids think about gender ambiguity? [...]

13. Kelsey
    Kelsey February 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |

I love Andrea and her poems! This poem is great and (humorously) says so much about our society’s views of gender norms.

14. Andrea Gibson « Written Images
    Andrea Gibson « Written Images April 20, 2009 at 4:31 pm |

[...] Swing set I liked this one a whole lot! At the Take Back the Night rally, I read “Blue Blanket.” I posted about that earlier. I have decided to practice and perform it again. Hopefully it will go over better. I just can’t take the thought that this righteous poem was “too long for the venue.” They’ll get it if I do it better. Maybe I should see if Gibson will come and do it herself! [...]

15. Right to Bleed » Sunday Link Love
    Right to Bleed » Sunday Link Love April 21, 2009 at 8:23 pm |

[...] word by Andrea Gibson called The Swingset (with transcript), addressing gender [...]

16. Samuel